ST. GEORGE — The American Red Cross encourages all eligible blood donors to make an appointment to donate blood soon to help prevent a shortage.
During the summer months, on average, about two fewer donors give blood at each Red Cross blood drive than what is needed to meet the needs of patients. Vacations and summer activities are among the reasons regular donors may not find the time to give. But, patients don’t get a vacation from needing blood; the need is constant.
As a national network, the Red Cross has a unique responsibility to help ensure blood is available for patients whenever and wherever it is needed. By donating blood or platelets through the Red Cross, donors may be helping patients in their community or patients across the nation.
Red blood cells have a shelf life of only 42 days and platelets just five days, so they must constantly be replenished.
- Aug. 21, 2-7 p.m.: Beaver 3rd, 4th & 5th Ward Chapel, 220 North Main
- Aug. 25, 2-6 p.m.: Milford Valley EMS, 850 North Main
- Aug. 11, 2-7 p.m.: Sharwan Smith Center, 351 West University Blvd
- Aug. 14, 2-7 p.m.: Cedar City Canyon View Stake, 1985 North Main
- Aug. 18, 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.: State Bank of Southern Utah, Cedar City, 377 North Main
- Aug. 19, 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.: State Bank of Southern Utah, Cedar City, 377 North Main
- Aug. 15, 1:30-7 p.m.: Enoch Stake Center, 2233 E. Village Green Road
- Aug. 20, 2-7 p.m.: Hurricane 10th Ward Red Brick Chapel, 274 South 100 West
- Sept. 3, 2:30-7:30 p.m.: Old Ivins Chapel, 40 West Center
- Aug. 13, 1 p.m.-6 p.m.: St. George Bloomington Stake, 200 West Brigham Road
- Aug. 14, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.: Southern Utah Health Clinic, 1490 Foremaster Dr.
- Aug. 24, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Utah National Guard – St. George, 1710 E. Commerce Dr.
- Aug. 27, 2-6 p.m.: Dixie Regional Medical Center, 1380 East Medical Center Drive
- Aug. 28, 12-5 p.m.: Smith’s – St. George, 20 N. Bluff
- Aug. 29, 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.: Dixie State University, Rural Health Scholars, 225 S 700 E
- Sept. 5, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.: St. George City Offices, 175 East 200 North
- Aug. 25, 1-6 p.m.: Paul Mitchell The School, 568 West Telegraph St., Ste. 4
- Aug. 28, 2-7 p.m.: Main Street Chapel, 82 North Main Street
How to donate blood
Call 1-800-RED CROSS or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age, weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health are eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger must meet certain height and weight requirements.
- Online: American Red Cross website | Twitter: @RedCross
- St. George branch of the Red Cross: 476 E. Riverside Drive | 435-674-4440
- Summer blood shortage; Red Cross calls for donations
- Red Cross needs additional blood donors throughout summer
- Locals reproach Red Cross for ‘gay ban’ on blood donations; other criteria, scientific debate
- Giving blood is always in season; American Red Cross, Nexcare partner to save lives