ST. GEORGE — The contests are in full swing at the Washington County Fair, and you’ve entered your baby in the annual baby contest. If your looks and your husband’s charm didn’t cinch things in the gene department, what can you do to secure a win?
Kathy Hurst, who has been with the fair for 10 years and whose oldest child previously won the baby contest, spoke about what the judges are looking for this year.
“Each year varies,” Hurst said. ” Usually, if the baby is more outgoing and more friendly to the princesses, those are usually who end up winning.”
To avoid favoritism, the county fair princesses do the judging since they do not have children of their own.
Hurst said she loves the baby contest and getting to see all the cute babies. Her three children are now grown, but as a young mother she put her own kids in the contest.
“I love the personality in a baby. The ones with the most personality end up doing well,” Hurst said. “We look forward to seeing everyone out at the fair and at the baby contest and hope everyone has a good time.”
Initial baby judging will take place Friday on the food court stage at the Washington County Fair from 9 a.m.-noon. Parents should bring their babies at the time assigned to them during registration. The finalists will be announced at noon on Saturday.
To enter a little one in the baby contest, there is a $10 fee, which includes a fair T-shirt. Between 100-150 babies are expected to compete this year.
At judging time, babies should be dressed in their fair T-shirts and will be allowed seven minutes in front of the judges. Boys and girls will be judged separately, and the age groups are categorized as follows:
- 1-6 months
- 7-12 months
- 13-18 months
- 19-24 months
After Friday’s competition, the parents of 48 finalists — the top babies in each category — will be contacted by phone and asked to participate in Saturday’s contest. The final contest will take place from noon to 1 p.m. on Saturday. At the end of Saturday’s contest, a winner will be announced.
Reporter Travis Romney and Assistant to the Editor Cami Cox Jim contributed to this report.
- What: 2014 Washington County Fair
- When: Aug. 6-9
- Where: Washington County Fairgrounds, 5500 W. 700 South, Hurricane | I-15 to Exit 16 SR-9, 3 miles to the fairgrounds on the right, across from Quail Creek Reservoir
- Details: Schedule of Events webpage
- Questions specific to the baby contest: [email protected], 435-313-8847 | [email protected] 435-619-5514
- Contact: Washington County Fair general information: 435-652-5899 | [email protected] | Washington County Fair Facebook
- Washington County Fair Fairadise brings the beach party to Southern Utah
- Photo Gallery: Washington County Fair 2012
- City of Fun carnival; current-day carnies with a family heritage
- Behind the scenes of the Washington County Fair
- Dixie summer culminates in the Washington County Fair, ‘Let freedom ring’
- PHOTOS: Washington County Fair Derby 2011
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.