WASHINGTON CITY – A brush fire that started near the Washington City Baseball Complex Sunday evening was quickly contained by passers-by.
Report of the fire came in just before 10 p.m. after three men in the area of 350 N. Community Center Drive spotted the fire as they were driving by, Washington City Firefighter Kelly Lang said.
The men quickly jumped into action and started putting out the fire by throwing dirt on it with shovels they had in the back of their truck. They had the fire mostly contained by the time fire units arrived on scene. Fire crews had the fire completely contained and put out within five minutes of arrival.
“As far as how it started and who – no idea,” Lang said. “Probably some fireworks or some kids – something that way, but don’t really know.”
The fire burned pine needles and mulch about six or seven feet in diameter around the base of a tree.
“It means somebody doesn’t have to clean up pine needles for a little while,” Lang said.
No damage or injuries were reported.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by the authorities at the scene and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Firefighters spend 2.5 hours extinguishing 50-60 foot flames
- St. George Fire Department responds to 30-40 foot flames; STGnews Photo Gallery
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.