ST. GEORGE – Since 1946, the United States Navy Blue Angels have been presenting flight demonstrations to the public. This week, the Blue Angels, accompanied by the U.S. Army Golden Knights and others, have returned to St. George to enjoy the picturesque backdrop and hospitable welcome of Southern Utah.
Wednesday, the Blue Angels arrived in delta formation over the St. George Airport at about 4 p.m. They then went into their famous carrier break landing maneuver before landing on runway 1 and taxiing to the parking area to greet visiting dignitaries, VIPs and members of the press.
Wednesday’s event was a media briefing, preparatory to the Thunder Over Utah air show that will take place this weekend, with main events occurring Saturday and Sunday. A special preview party happens Friday night, then the full show on Saturday and Sunday.
An estimated 15,000-20,000 people will attend Thunder Over Utah this weekend.
Thunder Over Utah will be presented at the St. George Municipal Airport, 4550 S. Airport Parkway in St. George.
- Head south on Interstate 15 from St. George, or north on Interstate 15 from Nevada
- Exit to Utah state Route 7 (Southern Parkway) at mile post 2
- Head east 7.5 miles on Southern Parkway
- Exit onto Airport Parkway
- West on Airport Parkway (bear right at the roundabout)
- Terminal parking will NOT be available.
Note: The west general aviation gate access to the St. George Municipal Airport and surrounding hillside (Little Valley side) will be closed to spectators. This area is a safety box set by the Blue Angels. Please do not attempt to enter the area from the Little Valley side of the airport.
- General admission
- Saturday: Advance tickets $30 | Gate price $35 | Kids 15 and younger free for general admission
- Sunday: Advance tickets $25 | Gate price $30 | Kids 15 and younger free for general admission
- Parking: Advance tickets $10 | Gate price $15
- Bomber Club
- Advance tickets: $30 adult | $15 kids ages 5 to 15
- Saturday: Tickets sold out
- Sunday: $40 adult gate price | $20 kids
The Bomber Club is a spacious tented area where guests can enjoy some shade and have access to tables and chairs for relaxation. Bomber Club patrons will enjoy complimentary beverages (nonalcoholic) all day and have access to nonpublic portable washrooms. The Bomber Club chalet includes premium outdoor seating along the flight line.
A Bomber Club ticket does not include air show admission or parking; those tickets must be purchased separately. Limited seating is available.
- Fighter Club
- Advance tickets: $55 adults | $30 kids
- Saturday: Tickets sold out
- Sunday: Tickets sold out
Enjoy Thunder Over Utah by spending the day at the Fighter Club. Enjoy the festive atmosphere and entertainment while attending the air show in this premium chalet. Bring the whole family and enjoy a catered buffet-style lunch, served from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., and complimentary beverages (nonalcoholic) all day, along with access to nonpublic portable washrooms. The Fighter Club chalet includes premium outdoor seating along the flight line.
A Fighter Club ticket does not include air show admission or parking; those tickets must be purchased separately. Limited seating is available.
- Friday Night Preview Party
- Advance tickets $10
- Friday: $15 gate price
Kick off air show weekend on Friday, July 25, and get an exclusive sneak peek during the Friday night preview party, where some of the Thunder Over Utah performers will show their stuff, including the U.S. Army Golden Knights, Matt Younkin, the School Time Jet Bus and others. Live music will be provided by the Lawn Darts. Please note that the U.S. Navy Blue Angels will not be performing at the Friday Night Preview Party.
Parking is available at a designated area adjacent to the airport.
Tickets for parking at Thunder Over Utah are $10 per vehicle if purchased in advance, or $15 per vehicle the day of the event when purchased at the site. Parking costs are in addition to admission prices for viewing the show.
Limited handicap parking is available on a paved surface lot. Disabled guests are urged to arrive early as the handicapped parking lot may fill quickly.
NOTE: During the main events on Saturday and Sunday, all vehicles must be removed from airport property by 6 p.m.
Air show schedule
|5 p.m.||Gates open|
|5:30 p.m.-9 p.m.||Air show preview party.The Lawn Darts live band plays until 6:30 p.m.|
|6:30 p.m- 8:30 p.m.||Demos and flybys (The Blue Angels will not be performing.)|
|9 p.m.||Gates close|
|Saturday and Sunday|
|8 a.m.||Admission/ticketing points open and car parking begins|
|9 a.m.||Public gates to air show grounds open|
|10:30 a.m.||WWII air and ground battle reenactment|
|12:30 p.m.||Air show begins|
|5 p.m.||Gates close|
Spectator area: Smoking is allowed outside spectator gates and the parking lots.
- All carry-in items and persons are subject to search
- All unattended bags and items will be removed from the premises
- Cameras may be used to monitor the facility
- No RV parking allowed
- No unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)
The following restrictions apply:
- No coolers; except small coolers containing life-saving medications or formula for infants .
- No loose ice
- No cans
- No glass
- No alcohol
- No pets
- No weapons of any kind
- No tents
- No awnings
- No cooking equipment
- No bicycles
- No scooters
- No roller-blades
- No ladders
- No large umbrellas
For your convenience: To minimize imposition, it is recommended that air show patrons bring only necessary items on their person and limit the size and contents of carry-in items to those that are essential.
Air show concession stands feature a wide variety of food and beverage options for your enjoyment and convenience.
- For tickets and other information, visit the Thunder Over Utah website
- Additional information about the Blue Angels can be found here
Ed. Note: Errors related to where individuals can park has been corrected. Parking with not be available at the terminal as originally reported.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Tailhook meets cable; Blue Angel No. 7 tests emergency jet arrest system; STGnews Photo Gallery
- Volunteers needed for Thunder Over Utah Air Show
- Blue Angels arrive in St. George to plan upcoming air show; STGnews Videocast
- Blue Angels return to St. George; Thunder Over Utah discount tickets available
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.