CEDAR CITY – The Utah Summer Games is known for long time running competitions, as well as adding new ones. For the first time in the games’ history, rugby for all ages was added to the 2014 sports.
“Rugby is an incredible sport,” said Dayna Regouski, USG rugby event coordinator. “It’s growing at a rapid rate and it will be recognized and grow in the United States and we need to have it in Summer Games, it’s important to have it in Summer Games.”
The rugby competition was heavily participated by northern Utah teams. In the U14 category, Snow Canyon was the only team to represent Southern Utah.
“Snow Canyon’s a great representation of (southern Utah),” Regouski said. “They are an incredible team, an incredible organization and we’re happy that they’re here. They ‘re good quality rugby. They’re very great athletes.”
Snow Canyon grasped the responsibility and embraced the opportunity to compete against new and familiar competition.
“It’s been great to represent southern Utah,” said Tarnue Ali, coach for Snow Canyon. “It’s been an opportunity and a blessing. We’ve had good support from family and the people in Cedar City here.”
After beating unfamiliar competition, Snow Canyon was denied of the gold medal game after losing to familiar Spanish Fork.
Snow Canyon has been defeated by Spanish Fork three times for the state title. Although the loss was déjà vu, Snow Canyon went into the bronze medal game with high spirits.
“We just said, ‘Let’s get this,’” said Mikaera Puriri, Snow Canyon team member.
The team brought home the bronze medal after defeating Tooele, representing the area well.
“Kind of makes me feel good that we’re kind of representing our own area,” said SC player Andy Day. “It’s kind of cool.”
It felt good to have new challenges from new teams, Magalei Stevenson, Snow Canyon team member, said. It was a great experience.
Summer Games competition will conclude it’s 2014 season Sunday with Archery.
1st – Glendale
2nd – Kaysville
3rd – Riverton
1st – Tooele
2nd – South Jordan
3rd – Rosepark
1st – Spanish Fork
2nd – Salt Lake City
3rd – Snow Canyon
1st – Southern Utah Cannibals
2nd – Southern Utah University
3rd – Dixie State University
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Sweet pickleball as 2014 Utah Summer Games hits final days
- Nearly 3 decades old, Utah Summer Games has become part of the fabric of Utah
- Dead-man winning: Stadelman overcomes ‘death,’ takes three golds at USG table tennis event
- Runners take their marks at Utah Summer Games 5k; CCNews Photo Gallery
- Aim and fire: Utah Summer Games’ pistol shooting competition heats up; CCnews Photo Gallery
- Opening Ceremonies officially launch the Utah Summer Games; Cedar City News Photo Gallery
- Utah Summer Games: Arm wrestling returns as USG event
- Utah Summer Games kicks off with youth bowling tournament; CCNews Photo Gallery
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.