HURRICANE — Hurricane Fire Department extinguished a fire that threatened homes after sparks from a grinder started in the backyard of a resident’s home, located at 619 South Main Street in Hurricane, Wednesday afternoon.
At approximately 3:40 p.m. a Hurricane man was working on a trailer cutting metal with a grinder when the shower of sparks ignited foxtails and dead grass in his backyard. The man reported the fire and then grabbed a garden hose to douse the flames, Hurricane Fire Captain Nick Wright said.
The breeze spread the flames south burning through a white plastic fence and lighting a tin shed on fire. The fire partially melted a motorcycle and caught other items inside of the shed on fire totaling around $8,000 worth of damage, Wright said.
The Fire Department was able to respond and extinguished the fire within an hour. Hazmat also arrived in response to the oxygen tanks and other highly flammable equipment that were inside of the shed.
“That was our biggest concern,” Wright said. “This is a common occurrence this time of year. Anytime someone is cutting with a grinder near weeds.”
There were no evacuations made in the area and no injuries were reported.
- Home catches fire from burning weeds
- Burning vehicle ignites brush fire; well-timed deputy contains blaze
- City parks workers alert residents to home fire
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.