IRON COUNTY — The National Weather Service has issued a “Fire Weather Watch” for much of Washington, Iron, Kane and Garfield counties. This is a “critical fire conditions” alert in effect from Thursday morning to Friday evening for wind and relative low humidity.
Large portions of Washington, Iron, Kane and Garfield counties (see map insert).
Southwest winds 15-20 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
Relative humidity values in the afternoons are expected to be down between 8 and 12 percent.
The combination of strong winds and low relative humidity is expected to create hazardous fire weather conditions where fuels are critically dry.
Precautionary, preparedness actions
A Fire Weather Watch means that there is a potential for critical fire weather conditions. Continue to monitor for the latest forecasts and for possible red flag warnings.
- Fire weather watch for Mesquite area
- Red Flag Alert: Grand Staircase, Washington, Kane Counties
- Summer fire safety; prevention, awareness benefit communities
- Gunlock hopes to unlock funding for new firehouse
- Officials urge residents to prepare for upcoming fire season
- Multiple agencies take part in wildland-urban interface firefighting training
- Fire mitigation efforts save homes
- Human Attention Means Fire Prevention: Tips to Stop Human-Caused Fires
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.