WASHINGTON COUNTY – The National Weather Service has issued a “Fire Weather Watch” for Washington County. This is a “critical fire conditions” alert that is in effect from 1-10 p.m. Thursday for wind and relative low humidity.
Fire Weather Zones 497 – Mojave Desert (see map insert).
Southwest winds 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph will develop Sunday afternoon and continue into the evening.
Relative humidity values between 3 and 7 percent Tuesday afternoon and evening.
The combination of strong winds and low relative humidity is expected to create hazardous fire weather conditions where fuels are critically dry.
Precautionary, preparedness actions
A Fire Weather Watch means that there is a potential for critical fire weather conditions. Continue to monitor for the latest forecasts and for possible red flag warnings.
- Fire weather watch for Mesquite area
- Red Flag Alert: Grand Staircase, Washington, Kane Counties
- Summer fire safety; prevention, awareness benefit communities
- Gunlock hopes to unlock funding for new firehouse
- Officials urge residents to prepare for upcoming fire season
- Multiple agencies take part in wildland-urban interface firefighting training
- Fire mitigation efforts save homes
- Human Attention Means Fire Prevention: Tips to Stop Human-Caused Fires
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.