WASHINGTON – An accident involving three cars, including a Washington City Police vehicle, shut down two lanes briefly Tuesday afternoon, at the intersection of Green Springs Drive and Telegraph Street.
“The white car ran the red light,” Roxy Trimble of Hurricane, and a witness to the accident, said. “We were already stopped at the red light, when the white car flew past us, into the intersection.”
The white car, a Mitsubishi Mirage, was traveling southbound on Green Springs Drive. It ran the red light, traveling into the intersection before being hit on the driver’s side by two other vehicles – a green passenger car and an unmarked white Washington City Police SUV driven by a police lieutenant. Both the green passenger car and the SUV were traveling westbound on Telegraph Street.
“After the white vehicle was hit, it spun 90 degrees,” Trimble said. “The white vehicle was lucky.”
Due to the involvement of a Washington City police officer, Utah Highway Patrol was called in to investigate the accident.
The driver of the white Mitsubishi told the Utah Highway patrol that he was not sure what happened, that he did apply his brakes, but they didn’t seem to work.
The driver and passenger of the green car were looked at by medical crews on scene for minor injuries. No other injuries were reported, UHP Sgt. Todd Royce said.
Washington City Police Department spokesman Ed Kantor declined to comment in light of officer-involvement and UHP being the lead agency on the accident.
Accident investigation is ongoing.
This report is based on preliminary information and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Washington city police car collides with passenger car – April 25, 2014
- Accident temporarily blocks interstate access
- Man flees I-15 traffic stop on foot, search ensues
- Another left-turn crash; flashing yellow arrow to blame?
- Struck by a truck; left-hand turn collision, Green Springs–Telegraph intersection
- Four-way collision clogs Green Springs-Telegraph intersection
- UDOT, Washington County cities exhibit plans for road, trail, bussing projects; Dixie Regional Transportation Expo 2013
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.