WASHINGTON COUNTY – The National Weather Service has issued a “Red Flag Warning” for a large portion of Washington County including the St. George area. The alert is in effect from 10 a.m. Thursday to 9 p.m. Saturday for wind and relative low humidity.
Fire Weather Zones 497 – Mojave Desert (see map insert).
Southwest winds 15-25 mph with gusts to 35 mph Thursday and Friday. Winds will be stronger Saturday, with possible gusts in excess of 40 mph.
Minimum relative humidity values near 10 percent Thursday and Friday. Relative humidities will drop to as low as 5 percent on Saturday.
The combination of strong winds and low relative humidity will create hazardous fire weather conditions where fuels are critically dry.
Precautionary, preparedness actions
A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now, or will shortly. A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.
- Fire weather watch for Mesquite area
- Red Flag Alert: Grand Staircase, Washington, Kane Counties
- Summer fire safety; prevention, awareness benefit communities
- Gunlock hopes to unlock funding for new firehouse
- Officials urge residents to prepare for upcoming fire season
- Multiple agencies take part in wildland-urban interface firefighting training
- Fire mitigation efforts save homes
- Human Attention Means Fire Prevention: Tips to Stop Human-Caused Fires
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.