WASHINGTON COUNTY – The National Weather Service has issued a “Red Flag Warning” for Washington County. The alert is in effect Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. for wind and relative low humidity.
Fire Weather Zones 497 – Mojave Desert (see map insert).
South southwest winds will increase to 15-25 mph with gusts over 30 mph.
Single digits will prevail through the period.
The combination of strong winds and low relative humidity is expected to create hazardous fire weather conditions where fuels are critically dry.
Precautionary, preparedness actions
A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now, or will shortly. A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.
- Fire weather watch for Mesquite area
- Red Flag Alert: Grand Staircase, Washington, Kane Counties
- Summer fire safety; prevention, awareness benefit communities
- Gunlock hopes to unlock funding for new firehouse
- Officials urge residents to prepare for upcoming fire season
- Multiple agencies take part in wildland-urban interface firefighting training
- Fire mitigation efforts save homes
- Human Attention Means Fire Prevention: Tips to Stop Human-Caused Fires
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.