SOUTHERN UTAH – The Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range in Hurricane provides shooting clinics for ladies every Wednesday night along with other training opportunities.
Southern Utah Practical Shooters is a nonprofit corporation that strives to promote practical shooting, shooting, and the Second Amendment.
The organization’s president, Ken Nelson, has strived to achieve these goals. He initially came up with the idea of clinics while training shooters for competition.
Many shooters wanted to compete, but first wanted to perfect their skills and fundamentals.
Women wanted to learn the basics in a comfortable environment, Nelson said.
Since the ladies clinics began in September 2013, 900 shooters have been trained.
“It just sort of evolved, it started small, It was just me,” Nelson said, “I recruited instructors, I trained instructors and then it just sort of grew.”
Washington City resident Carol Barrett frequents the clinics to improve her shooting ability and knowledge.
“I just want to improve and get better,” Barrett said, “and every time I come out I learn something new.”
She continues to be trained by great instructors so that she can feel more comfortable with her gun, she said.
In regards to the clinics, Bob Wolf, secretary and treasurer for the Southern Utah Pistol Shooters, a separate organization that cooperates with the Southern Utah Practical Shooters said: “It builds confidence, it builds self esteem.”
The goal of the clinics is to teach the fundamentals of shooting – stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control.
Glen Wong, board member of the Southern Utah Practical Shooters and A-Class Shooter helps teach as a community service.
“This is a friendly place to shoot,” Wong said, “you are not under a lot of scrutiny when you come in, everyone is very nice.
“We are teaching them fundamentals, we are teaching them to shoot,” he said.
Although the ladies clinic started out for women only, men are welcome to participate.
Other clinics and competition opportunities are available. For more information regarding clinics and competitions, see resources below for the practical shooting range and the Southern Utah Shooting Sports Park.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- When: Every Wednesday, 6 p.m. – weather and instructors permitting
- Where: Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range
- Admission: Free
- Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range | Facebook | Website | Telephone 435-625-1745
- Southern Utah Shooting Sports Park | Website
- Directions to the Southern Utah Practical Shooting Range: Pass the Department of Motor Vehicles at 100 South 5300 West in Hurricane and then down the right side of the Fairgrounds. Keep going into the Southern Utah Shooting Sports Park, and keep going on that road. Just keep going about a mile. You will pass a Cowboy shooting area, the Rifle/Pistol venue (square range with covered pavillion over it shooting line), and you will see a sign for the “Practical Range.” Just follow the curve into Practical Shooting Range facility.
- Dixie Desperados host live action shooting competition; STGnews Videocast
- A shooting range in Santa Clara?
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.