IVINS – The fourth annual Kayenta Street Painting Festival kicks-off Friday with a screening of the highly anticipated documentary film, “GESSO: The Art of Street Painting,” held at the Kayenta Outdoor Theater at 8 p.m. in the Kayenta Art Village, 875 Coyote Gulch Court in Ivins.
The film features international street painters from Italy and Mexico who will be in attendance at the screening and participating in the street painting festival.
The public is invited to attend the screening for a $5 charge.
Professional and student artists will hit the pavement at 10 a.m. Saturday and, over the course of two days, will bring to life colorful chalk art murals guaranteed to please the eye.
Children are invited to take part in the event by purchasing an asphalt square and a set of pastels for $5 to create their own works of art.
The Street Painting Festival is the brainchild of Southern Utah artist and visionary, Aimee Bonham, who founded the festival four years ago and helped it grow at an unprecedented rate.
Last year’s festival saw approximately 4,000 spectators representing 18 Utah counties, 31 states and eight foreign countries.
(report continues below)
“This is a great opportunity for artists and spectators in our community,” Bonham said, “each year the event brings business, community, artists and students together for an amazing collaborative event. It has been neat to see the festival take off as it has and it is such a great event to be a part of.”
This will be Bonham’s last year at the helm of the festival.
The Kayenta Street Painting Festival is a program of the Kayenta Arts Foundation, a Utah nonprofit corporation.
- Where: Kayenta Art Village at Coyote Gulch, 875 Coyote Gulch Court, Ivins, Utah: The film screening will take place at the outdoor theater.
- When: Film screening will take place Friday at 8 p.m.: The Kayenta Street Painting Festival will take place Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Cost: Admission to the film screening is $5: Admission for the festival is free: Some activities may charge.
- For more information visit the Kayenta Street Painting Festival website.
- Kayenta Street Painting Festival chalk creations dazzle crowds; STGnews Photo Gallery
- Renowned local artist reunites with sculpture inspirations; STGnews Videocast
- 10th annual Art Around the Corner brings new art to downtown
- New sculptures on hand for 2012 season of Art Around the Corner
- Paint the town red with Art on Main’s Fall Gallery Stroll
- Art on Main gallery stroll enlivens downtown St. George
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.