Smoke alerts occupants to attic fire in office building

St. George Fire Department addresses fire concern at Langord Roofing, 1206 North 1210 West, St. George, Utah, April 6, 2014 | Photo by Drew Allred, St. George News St. George,

ST. GEORGE – After smelling smoke Sunday evening, people inside an office building at Langford Roofing in St. George made a call to 911 and fire crews were dispatched to address a fire before it spread.

Fire crews from the St. George Fire Department regroup after addressing smoke in the attic at Langord Roofing, 1206 North 1210 West, St. George, Utah, April 6, 2014 | Photo by Drew Allred, St. George News
Fire crews from the St. George Fire Department regroup after addressing smoke in the attic at Langord Roofing, 1206 North 1210 West, St. George, Utah, April 6, 2014 | Photo by Drew Allred, St. George News

At approximately 5:40 p.m. Sunday, several crews from the St. George Fire Department responded to a possible structure fire in the offices of Langford Roofing at 1206 N. 1210 W. in St. George, where occupants had reported the smell of smoke.

Upon investigation fire fighters found smoke in the attic and then found smoldering insulation. Fire crews used a small amount of water to put the insulation out and removed the insulation from the attic, St. George Fire Shift Captain Rick Nelson said.

“The residents did what they should have, as soon as they smelled that smoke they called 911 and got us coming. If they wouldn’t have been … around,” Nelson said, “it would have kept growing and possibly would have been a major fire.”

The smoke was cleared out of the attic with a fan and only minor damage was incurred. However, the owners will need to do some minor repairs on the attic, Nelson said.

St. George Fire Department addresses fire concern at Langord Roofing, 1206 North 1210 West, St. George, Utah, April 6, 2014 | Photo by Drew Allred, St. George News
St. George Fire Department addresses fire concern at Langord Roofing, 1206 North 1210 West, St. George, Utah, April 6, 2014 | Photo by Drew Allred, St. George News

Although the insulation caught fire from electrical wires, the problem with the wires was still unknown.

“It’s still being investigated as whether it’s a faulty or a worn electrical line,” Nelson said.

Approximately 40 fire fighters and seven fire trucks responded from the St. George Fire Department. And, a medical crew from the Gold Cross Ambulance was also on scene. No one was injured during the incident.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery. 

Related posts

Email: dallred@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • Christine April 6, 2014 at 9:06 pm

    Why are they calling they people in the office residents? Or did the neighbors call, too?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.