MOHAVE COUNTY – With the weekend upon us the Arizona Highway Patrol is again recommending motorists take the alternate route offered by Old Highway 91 in order to bypass the traffic delays promised by continuing bridge work on Interstate 15.
The Arizona Department of Transportation announced earlier this week that it was beginning reconstruction work on Bridge no. 6 in the Virgin River Gorge. Work on the bridge, which was originally built in the 1960s, is projected to take two years and cost $27 million. During this time traffic on that segment of I-15 will be reduced to a single lane.
Hence why the AHP is suggesting the attractive alternative of Old Highway 91, especially during weekend traffic.
No matter which route motorists choose, obedience to traffic laws and posted speed limits is advised in order to avoid becoming acquainted with members of the highway patrol under unfavorable circumstances.
Alternate route and tips for drivers
Individuals seeking to avoid the construction work in the Virgin River Gorge may take Highway 91 as an alternate route. The highway bypasses the gorge entirely, intersecting with I-15 at Littlefield, Ariz. to the south, and connecting to St. George at the north via Santa Clara and Sunset Boulevard. See map included in this article.
- View a project flyer with a map of the area: Virgin River Gorge I-15 Bridge Rehabilitation Projects 2014-2015
- To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center online.
- Travelers outside of Arizona needing to check road conditions may call 1-888-411-ROAD, or while in Arizona dial 511.
- More information about the I-15 Virgin River Gorge bridge projects is available on the ADOT website.
- ADOT begins largest bridge reconstruction project in Virgin River Gorge, Bridge No. 6 on I-15
- Car gets sandwiched between semis, concrete barrier; Gorge collisions
- ADOT Advisory: Roadwork on bridges continues, motorists reminded to plan for delays
- I-15 construction in the Gorge slows travel between St. George, Las Vegas
- ADOT: Virgin River Gorge bridge improvement schedule
- Interstate from Mexico to Canada? ADOT, NDOT invite public comments on I-11 Study
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.