ST. GEORGE – A hook, line and sinker is all you need to participate in the annual St. George Fishing Derby to be held at the Tawa Ponds in St. George, April 5, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Fishing Derby is free for children, 12 and under, and open to the public.
Children are invited to experience the chance to catch a big one at the Tawa Ponds. Fishing poles and bait will be available at no cost for children who do not own their own poles. Participants and spectators are encouraged to bring a cooler for caught fish and a chair for seating.
Throughout the Derby, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources will be conducting brief fishing etiquette and giving away donated prizes to participating children. The goal of the Derby sponsors is to ensure that all area children have the opportunity to experience the simple joy of fishing.
Also, while at the Derby, parents can find out more information about a new youth fishing clinic starting on April 10 at the Skyline Ponds.
The Derby is co-sponsored by the Southern Utah Anglers, Dixie Wildlife Federation, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, Hurst’s Hardware, Sportsman’s Warehouse, SCI members and the City of St. George.
Event details and contact information
- What: St. George Fishing Derby
- When: Saturday, April 5, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: Tawa Ponds, 2200 West, Snow Canyon Parkway – near the Canyons Softball Complex
- Visit www.sgcityrec.org for more information
- Catch the $2 mil. fish; Cabela’s, DWR offer Utah anglers opportunities, resources
- DWR to set up checkpoints for boaters, anglers in spring
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.