ST. GEORGE – A St. George woman pled not guilty to automobile homicide at her arraignment on Wednesday in Washington County’s Fifth District Court. Carla Lynn Brennan, 51, appeared before District Court Judge James Shumate and a trial date was set for April 23.
Brennan was arrested and charged with second-degree felony automobile homicide in April 2013 in connection with an automobile accident on Dixie Drive on March 4, 2013.
On that date at about 9 a.m., David Henson and his wife Leslee, both 56, were walking on the sidewalk on Dixie Drive near Sunbrook Drive. They were both hit by a car that had been rear-ended by a car that was driven by Brennan.
David Henson was transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George by medical helicopter, where he was pronounced dead. Leslee Henson was seriously injured in the accident and has since recovered.
Police concluded from their investigation the accident had been caused by Brennan because she had been distracted by texting while driving.
Since the accident Henson and her family have been spurred by the tragedy to create an awareness crusade through their blog “stop the texts, stop the wrecks” and by placing warning signs throughout the city.
St. George City began the heads up thumbs up campaign in an effort to educate drivers which has included more stringent enforcement of the distracted driving laws, and taking photographs of drivers texting or otherwise distracted while driving.
- You’re being watched; texting-while-driving complaints, defenses
- Police use photos of drivers as part of anti-texting campaign
- First of many no-texting signs unveiled in St. George
- Victim’s family brings ‘No Texting’ traffic signs to St. George
- What the HAYnes? 20 years of texting, so much time saved
- Woman arrested in connection with fatal auto-pedestrian accident
- Auto-pedestrian accident sends two women to hospital
- UPDATE: Names of victims in pedestrian-auto accident released, police seek witnesses
- One of two pedestrians in morning accident dies
- Two pedestrians collaterally injured in two-car collision
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.