ST. GEORGE – In recognition of Women’s History Month, Dixie State University’s DOCUTAH and Utah Women in Higher Education Network will offer a special screening of the film, “We Women Warriors: Strengthening Courage and Leadership,” Thursday in the Grand Foyer of the Eccles Fine Arts Center on the university campus at 225 S. 700 E. in St. George. A 5:30 p.m. reception sponsored by Red Mountain Resort will precede the 7 p.m. screening, and a panel discussion presented by the Women in Higher Education Network and Utah Business Women will follow. Admission to the reception, screening and discussion following is free and the public is invited to attend and participate.
The goal of this event, built around “We Women Warriors,” produced and directed by Nicole Karsin, is to support women’s leadership initiatives. DOCUTAH provides the following film synopsis:
‘We Women Warriors‘ follows three native women caught in the crossfire of Columbia’s warfare who use nonviolent resistance to defend their people’s survival. In Colombia there are 102 aboriginal groups, 1/3 of which are in danger of extinction because of the ongoing conflict. Trapped in a protracted predicament financed by the drug trade, indigenous women are resourcefully leading and creating transformation imbued with hope. ‘We Women Warriors’ bears witness to rights abuses and interweaves character-driven stories about female empowerment, unshakable courage and faith in the survival of indigenous culture.
“There are a variety of women’s organizations in our community,” DSU’s Vice President of Institutional Advancement Christina Schultz said. “The goal of this event is to build leadership and to provide networking opportunities for women who may be students, philanthropists, academic professionals and/or corporate professionals.”
DOCUTAH and Utah Women in Higher Education Network expressed, in the release for this event, appreciation to Utah Business Women, Morris Murdock Travel, Red Mountain Resort and Craft Lake City, for their support of this film and pre-screening event.
The DOCUTAH Southern Utah International Documentary Film Festival will run Sept. 2-6 this year, providing an opportunity to envision the world through documentary film.
Event details and contact information
- What: Special screening of “We Women Warriors: Strengthening Courage and Leadership”
- Where: Eccles Fine Arts Center at Dixie State University, 225 S. 700 E., St. George
- When: Thursday, March 20 | Reception at 5:30 p.m. | Film screens beginning at 7-7:15 p.m.| Panel discussion follows
- Cost: Free admission
- DOCUTAH – website
- DOCUTAH – Web page with film trailer for “We Women Warriors”
- Utah Business Women St. George – website – UBW will have a booth at the reception
- Utah Women in Higher Education Network – website
- Networking group brings workshop for women on valuing self, negotiating
- Mia Love keynotes annual Dixie State Mother-Daughter Weekend, Women’s Conference
- Utah Business Women give middle schoolers a reality check
- Child advocate named ‘Woman of the Year’ by Utah Business Women
- Woman in Business Expo: Workshops, luncheon vendors aim to help business women succeed
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.