ST. GEORGE – Around 400 racers will sink their tires into Southern Utah’s red dirt Saturday at 8 a.m., competing in the fourth annual True Grit Epic Mountain Bike Race the season opener for the National Ultra Endurance Series, a mountain bike racing series with 13 races in 13 states, according to current series listing. There are still racing slots open for those interested in competing, as well as volunteer opportunities for nonbikers interested in taking part in the race.
Beginning and ending at the Tonaquint Intermediate School in St. George, the True Grit track weaves a 50-mile loop through the mountain bike trails of Green Valley Raceway, Barrel Ride, Zen Trail, Stucki Springs, Ram Rambler, Barrel Rolls, and Cobe Wash.
“This is the first year that the 50-mile loop will include this many dirt trails,” Cimarron Chacon, True Grit race director, said. “Our loop is becoming known as one of the hardest 100-mile races in the country.”
This event is open to the public and spectators are invited to watch the riders take off and cross the finish line while relaxing on the grass at Tonaquint Intermediate School. Several vendors will be there to provide food and a live band will be playing around 3 p.m.
Alternate viewpoints for watching the racers include the Zen trailhead located in Green Valley or Barrel Rolls trailhead located in Santa Clara. See course description and maps here.
Volunteers are still needed for the 8:30 a.m. shift at the Zen trailhead, as well as the 11 a.m. shift at the Barrel Rolls trailhead.
There are still racing slots open for anyone interested in competing. Registration is open online until Thursday at midnight or at packet pickup on Friday, to be held at Red Rock Bicycle on Bluff Street in St. George.
Event details and contact information
- When: Saturday, March 15, from 8 a.m. until the last racer crosses the finish line
- Where: Tonaquint Intermediate School, 1210 West Curly Hollow Drive, St. George
- Contact: Cimarron Chacon | Email: email@example.com
- True Grit: National Ultra Endurance racers cover 100 miles of dirt in Southern Utah; STGnews Videocast and Photo Gallery – 2013
- Southern Utah mountain biking, cycling events
- Road biking, mountain biking in Utah’s Dixie, favorite routes, trails and resources
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.