ST. GEORGE – Get your motor runnin’ for rounds three and four of Autocross 2014 in St. George, March 15-16, at the Old St. George Municipal Airport. This event, hosted by the Sports Car Club of America, consists of driving vehicles in a controlled and safe environment while competing with other similarly categorized vehicles.
This is a driving skills competition that emphasizes the driver’s ability and the car’s handling characteristics. This is accomplished by driving a course that is designated by traffic cones on a low hazard location, such as a parking lot or inactive airstrip.
The car club has many categories divided into classes for vehicles, including: Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared, Street Modified, Prepared, and Modified. Just about any car in good mechanical condition is eligible for the event as long as the car passes a tech safety inspection and is not on the exclusion list or prone to rollover – which mostly consists of SUVs.
Drivers must be a SCCA member in order to race and participate. If drivers don’t have a membership card, they will be required to purchase a weekend membership for $15. First-time drivers receive $10 off their entry fee.
Non-drivers are welcome to go and watch the event but will be required to sign a waiver sheet for insurance policies as a guest. However, there is no fee to go as a spectator.
The Sports Car Club of America, SCCA, Las Vegas Region is a nonprofit organization that caters to the grassroots motorsports addiction.
Event details and resources
- What: Autocross 2014, rounds three and four
- When: March 15-16
- 7-8:30 a.m. | Registration and tech inspection
- 8:30 a.m. | Course closes for course walks
- 8:40 a.m. | Mandatory driver’s meeting
- 9 a.m. | First car out
- Where: Old St. George Municipal Airport, 998 South Airport Road, St. George
- Registration: Deadline is March 13 at 12:30 p.m.
- For more information, visit the LVRSCCA website or visit their Facebook page
- Green means GO: Drag racing delivers in speed, spectators; STGnews Photo Gallery, video
- Start your engines: Drag racing is back in St. George
- Black corvette on Black Hill, rollover sends one to hospital
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.