SOUTHERN UTAH – The National Weather Service has issued an extended “Winter Weather Advisory” for southwest and south-central Utah in effect until Friday at 3 p.m.
Affected areas – Southwest and south-central Utah, including the cities of Beaver, Cedar City, Milford, Kanab and Escalante.
Snow accumulations – New snow amounts of 1-3 inches are expected, with less expected near Kanab.
Timing – Snow with rain below about 5,000 feet will continue through midday then gradually taper off rom the west.
Impacts – Winter driving conditions can be expected along Interstate 15 and U.S. Highway 89 in the affected areas, according to the National Weather Service advisory. Further Utah Department of Transportation road weather alert indicates the following:
- I-15 between Beaver and Cedar City will see areas of road slush through 11 a.m. Friday.
- Periods of road snow or slush will impact areas near the I-15-Interstate 70 Junction through Friday morning.
- Periods of road snow will impact southern mountain summits along the I-15 corridor through Friday afternoon.
- Periods of road snow or slush will impact all of I-70 through 9 a.m. Friday.
- Periods of road slush will impact I-70 east of Fremont Junction to Green River through 11 a.m. Friday.
A winter weather advisory means that snow accumulations will, primarily, cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow-covered roads. Use caution while driving.
For winter road conditions from the Utah Department of Transportation:
- Visit UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts
- Visit UDOT’s Current Road Conditions
- Obtain UDOT’s smartphone travel app.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.