ST. GEORGE – The sight of smoke and then flames prompted a passerby to call 911 on a fire at the Dealer Collision Center at Stephen Wade Auto Center in St. George Saturday night.
The St. George Communications Center received at least two calls just before 9 p.m. from passing motorists who reported seeing smoke and flames coming out the backside of the Dealer Collision Center located at 166 West 1700 South.
“The fire was located on the west wall of one of the auto bays,” St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker said, noting there are many vehicles and paint booths in each bay of the building.
Inside the building a sprinkler went off over the fire and helped contain the blaze until firefighters arrived and put out the remainder of the blaze.
The fire started in a space between a regular door and larger roll-up door on the west wall. A window on the roll-up door was broken out by the fire through which a large amount of smoke was pouring out. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, though Stoker said it occurred around a large garbage can with with some electrical wiring around it
“Our investigators are looking at that now,” he said. “We know the area of origin. We’re just trying to find the cause.”
Stoker said damages from the fire are possibly between $10,000-$15,000. However, thanks to the sprinkler keeping the fire contained, no major damage occurred to the overall building, and the blaze did not damage any of the vehicles in the bay.
“Luckily, there was relatively minor damage compared to what it could have been,” Stoker said. “(The Collision Center) will be able to continue work without a problem. They’ll be back in business Monday morning.”
No injuries were reported in connection with the fire. Fire crews began to mop up the scene around 10 p.m.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.