Early breast cancer detection; mammograms save lives

FEATURE – Many people don’t know that Washington County has the lowest percentage of women who receive annual mammograms in Utah. And sadly, 80-100 local women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in the coming year. Mammograms can detect cancer even before a lump is noticeable, providing early treatment options that save lives.

A mammogram will pick up new or abnormal calcium deposits up to two years before a lump can be felt in 90 percent of breast cancer cases. The other 10 percent of cases may first be noticed as a lump or diffuse pink rash, so monthly breast self-examination is still recommended. Ultrasounds and MRIs are also useful, but the mammogram is considered the gold standard of diagnosing breast cancer. And despite what you may have heard, radiation from mammograms is not harmful.

Early detection of breast cancer gives most women a choice; they may opt for a lumpectomy with a short course of radiation rather than mastectomy. In addition, chemotherapy may not be necessary with early detection.

Every woman should have a yearly preventive health examination that covers evaluation of the four leading causes of death in non-smoking U.S. women: Cardiovascular disease, breast cancer, colon cancer and osteoporosis. Don’t wait; talk to your doctor and schedule a mammogram today. If you don’t have a primary care provider, contact the Southern Utah Women’s Health Center at 435-628-1662.

Will a mammogram save your life this year?

Dr. Joan Eggert
Dr. Joan Eggert

Written by Dr. Joan Eggert for St. George Health & Wellness magazine and St. George News.

Eggert completed her undergraduate education in nutrition at Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo. She earned a master’s degree in public health at UCLA and taught nutrition and medical dietetics for seven years before returning to medical school at the University of Utah, and residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Nebraska. She is certified by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and certified in hyperbaric and dive medicine. Her practice includes general gynecology, minor gynecology surgery, urogynecology and menopausal problems and management.

Now available from STGnews.com

St. George Health and Wellness

Email: news@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, StGeorgeUtah.com Inc. and St. George Health and Wellness magazine, 2014, all rights reserved.

1156821_34132110

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

3 Comments

  • Kumos January 16, 2014 at 6:41 pm

    Most women (and most doctors) need to understand that most pro-mammogram research is funded and conducted by people/groups with significant conflict-of-interests. Those are the ones claiming mammograms save lives. Solid studies by neutral scientists show no discernible reduction in breast cancer mortality from the test. In fact, objectively considering and quantifying properly all the research the data show mammograms do more harm than good (read “The Mammogram Myth: The Independent Investigation Of Mammography The Medical Profession Doesn’t Want You To Know About” by Rolf Hefti).

  • Ginger January 17, 2014 at 12:10 pm

    Mammograms are the most effective tool available to detect changes in breast tissue. I agree that while they may not be able to ‘save lives’ – regular screening does allow a woman to discover changes in breast tissue and hopefully catch breast disease earlier rather than later. As a young cancer survivor myself (diagnosed 31 when 5 months pregnant) early detection can reduce treatment protocol and can improve quality of life overall.

  • Tina January 18, 2014 at 5:04 am

    Hello my name is Tina I’m 24 an yes I have. Breast cancer I found it cus I was lactateing I have not had a baby in 3 years I go to. The free clinic but thay can’t do any for me

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.