PARAGONAH — A home was destroyed by a fire Friday after fire crews battled the fire for over an hour. No injuries were reported, but the estimated loss, according to a statement issued by the Iron County Sheriff’s Department, for the home and its contents is $400,000.
The structure fire was reported Friday, at approximately 12:30 p.m., near 3500 East, Red Creek Canyon Road in Paragonah. Due to the location of the home, it took fire crews several minutes to get there, Iron County Sheriff’s Sgt. Del Schlosser said.
Because there were no fire hydrants in the area, Schlosser said, fire crews had to truck water to the location, which took them up to one hour.
When crews arrived, they found the roof of the home to be on fire and entered the home to fight it. Soon after, the roof started to collapse and the fire fighters had to retreat from the inside of the home and continue battling the fire from the outside.
Eventually, fire crews were able to contain the fire to the residence and outbuildings and extinguish the fire.
Approximately eight fire apparatuses were on scene trying to control the fire including crews from Paragonah, Parowan, Brian Head and the Bureau of Land Management.
“It appears at this time the fire was caused by the chimney,” Schlosser said.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- One found dead after Hurricane trailer fire
- Fire destroys man’s home days before wedding; STGnews photo gallery
- Fire crews respond to barn fire near Enterprise
- Late night fire destroys shed, damages home
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.