SOUTHERN UTAH – While the snowstorm may be over, commuters still face a challenge on the roads due to icy conditions.
In general, while major roadways have been plowed, residential neighborhoods will likely still be slick due to remaining patches of ice and snow yet to be cleared. Ice may also be present on bridges and under overpasses, as well as in parking lots.
During winter driving conditions, it is advised to take the Utah Department of Transportation’s motto to heart: Ice and snow, take it slow.
Interstate 15 and state routes
According to its website, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. the Utah Department of Transportation has issued a moderate warning for I-15 between St. George and Cedar City, as well as SR-14 and SR-18 for blowing snow. Otherwise the roads are plowed and clear, though general condition is still advised for motorists.
SR-9 is also plowed and cleared, UDOT Roadway Operations Manager Todd Abbott said. The Southern Parkway has also been largely cleared, though snow packs may still be here and there, he said.
SR-59 has snow packs in parts and is also being tended to.
I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge has been plowed and cleared, though winter driving conditions are in affect. Ice is being reported around the Cedar Pockets area. Ice may also persist in shaded areas of the gorge. Caution is advised.
St. George area
St. George Police Sgt. Sam Despain said the city’s major roadways have largely been cleared, though patches of ice may be about. However, side streets and residential areas remain an issue due to remaining snow and ice.
“Side and residential roads are still very slick,” Despain said.
Drivers are encouraged to take care while on the road.
Some roads in residential areas are still thick with ice, according to a Tweet from the City of Hurricane. The city asks drivers to: “Take extra time and drive carefully.”
Zion National Park
From Twitter: “The Kolob Canyons Road is open. The Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway is snow-covered and icy. Please use caution while driving on all park.”
- Road, highway concerns after the storm, with or without plows
- Gorge closure; people stranded overnight recount experiences
- Sunny day after the snow; STGnews Photo Gallery
- St. George Municipal Airport is open, SkyWest-Delta flights resume operation
- News short: I-15 through Virgin River Gorge is open
- Movement in The Gorge for those in gridlock, closure remains in effect
- Local churches cancel Sunday services, observing public safety warnings
- Breaking News: I-15 through The Gorge completely closed, evacuation plan
- Northbound I-15 through the Gorge is closed, semitrailers stuck
- News short: UHP reopens all SB lanes through Black Ridge, I-15
- Dixie cities not equipped for snow removal, icy roads impassable; avoid driving
- I-15 incidents Millard south through AZ Strip; SB lanes closed on the Black Ridge
- Semitrailer jack-knifes on I-15, lanes blocked
- Snow incidents SR-18; photo gallery
- Minor slide-offs, accidents on I-15, heavy snowfall in the Gorge
- STGnews Photo Gallery: Let it Snow
- Winter Storm Warning: Statewide snow, gusty winds, road alerts
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.