SOUTHERN UTAH – It’s December, Southern Utah is looking festive, and it’s time to start looking forward to the Christmas holiday season. When there are so many fun things to do during the holidays that can’t be enjoyed during other times of the year, start infusing some holiday spirit into your routine, and get ready for a fun-filled winter season! Have the jolliest holiday and get into the Christmas spirit with our guide to festive events, activities and shows in Southern Utah this Christmas.
WEEK 2 – DEC. 9-15
- Tuacahn’s Christmas in the Canyon with Festival of Lights and Live Nativity – Ivins | Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings through Dec. 23 | 6:30-9 p.m. | Telephone: 435-652-3300 | Tuacahn’s Christmas in the Canyon brings its Festival of Lights and festivities in the Tuacahn Plaza free to the public. A Live Nativity is also presented each night in the Amphitheatre at 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. and the cost is $2 or $15 per family. Visitors can see the lights and listen to holiday music on the Tuacahn Plaza or sit by an open fire and sip hot chocolate from Tuacahn’s concession stand. Enjoy a holiday train ride on the Ruby’s Inn Old Salty Train for $2. What’s more, near the entrance to the Gift Gallery, parents can bring their children to see Santa Claus from 6:30-9 p.m.
73rd presentation Handel’s Messiah – Cedar City | Dec. 8-9 | 7:30 p.m. | Telephone: 435-586-2286 | Heritage Center Theater, 105 N. 100 East, Cedar City | The Orchestra of Southern Utah and OSU Chorale invite you to listen, stir the heart and enliven the mind, with memories of Christmases gone before. Admission is free.
- An Evening with Santa – St. George | Dec. 9 | 5-7 p.m. | Telephone: 435-767-9450 | Santa is coming to town and during this special time, Kneaders, 199 North Bluff Street, will be serving their famous Chunky Cinnamon French Toast. 100% of all French Toast sales from this evening dinner with Santa will be donated to Utah’s Primary Children’s Hospital.
- Swimming with Santa – St. George | Dec. 9 | 6:30-9 p.m. | Telephone: 435-627-4585 | Grab your inner tubes and get ready to enjoy a unique family fun activity night with Santa. Christmas cookies, hot chocolate, and special water games for all ages. Only $1 per person at Sand Hollow Aquatic Center, 1144 North Lava Flow Drive.
- Santa for Seniors – St. George | Dec. 9-18 | 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Telephone: 435-628-0090 | Be a Santa for the night for a senior in the community. All it takes is a simple gift and time to touch a heart for a lifetime. Before the actual event, adopt a senior Living at Beehive Homes, Dixie Home Health, Gentle Touch, Kolob Rehab, The Meadows, or Red Cliffs Rehab. Each location will then host a party at a designated time and place. Depending on who you adopt, will determine where you go at what time. Those who volunteer to adopt a Senior are committing to spend around an hour of their time and bring a simple gift. Become a Santa by picking up a name packet at one of the following locations: Swig, 25 Main, Orange Peel or the Senior Center. Secret Santa options are available for those who would like to give a gift but have limited time.
- Don’t Laugh at Me Players Christmas Performance – St. George | Dec. 10 | 6:30-8 p.m. | Telephone: 435-673-7501 | Opera House, 212 North Main | The “Don’t Laugh at Me Players” are a group of people with disabilities who perform songs and skits that depict how everyone should interact with people who have a disability. It is designed for all ages, it makes you laugh, cry, think, and most of all, teaches you to treat everyone with dignity and respect. They invite everyone to attend their annual free Christmas performance.
- “Yuletide Carols” – Zion Canyon Christmas Dinner – Springdale | Dec. 12 | 6:30 p.m. | This Christmas dinner, to be held at the Springdale LDS church, is planned to help support the kids in the community by asking attendees to bring an unwrapped children’s gift. Santa will be coming and entertainment for the evening will include Mandee and the ABC girls, Color Country Quartet, Ken and Carolyn Dailey, Emilee Hirschi, and Lieto Voices. This evening is complimentary and open to everyone.
The Nutcracker – St. George | Dec. 12-14 | 7:30 p.m. | Telephone: 435-313-9728 | Desert Hills Theater, 828 East Desert Hills Drive, St. George. | The magical story of Clara and her Nutcracker prince has captured the imaginations of southern Utah for the past 12 years. Come and enjoy the ballet with local artists that will sweeten your season. Tickets are $20.
- A Christmas Carol on the Air – St. George | Dec. 13-14 | 7:30 p.m. | Telephone: 435-652-7800 | Presented by DSU and SUU theatre departments, the performance will take place in the Cox Auditorium. There will also be a matinee performance Dec. 14, at 1 p.m.
- Christmas Treasures at Bumbleberry Theatre – Springdale | Dec. 13-14 | 7-9 p.m. | Telephone: 435-772-3224 | As the holiday season begins, enter the “World of Enchantment” and enjoy the magic of Christmas with cherished memories of the past from Bing Crosby, The Carpenters, and many more expressed beautifully through song and dance. Catch the holiday spirit as you enjoy this wonderful “Christmas Treasures” live performance. Performances will be held every Friday and Saturday through Dec. 21 with a special 2 p.m. matinee on Saturday.
- The Elf 5K Fun Run – Springdale | Dec. 14 | 3-6 p.m. | Dress up as an elf or other holiday creature and run through Springdale. Start at the Driftwood Lodge, then run/walk to the Zion Canyon Village. No pre-registration necessary just be at the start-line by 2:45 p.m. End your journey with the “Sweets & Treats” Event, then grab a Hay Ride back to the Driftwood Lodge or downtown. Winners are encouraged to ride the Hay Ride Float during the Light Parade.
- Toys for Tots Car Show – St. George | Dec. 14 | 3-7 p.m. | Telephone: 435-862-9334 | It’s a day of cars, toys and Christmas spirit as a group known as Car Guys Care hosts a car show to benefit the local Toys for Tots program for the third year in St. George. The event will take place in the parking lot of Iceburg Drive In, 222 East St. George Boulevard.
- Light Parade – Springdale | Dec. 14 | 7 p.m. | The parade lineup starts at 6:30 p.m. at Canyon Springs Road and the parade starts at 7 p.m. and ends at the Canyon Community Center on Lion Boulevard. Light Parade awards will be given following the parade at the Ice Cream Social, from 8-9 p.m., at the Canyon Community Center, 126 Lion Boulevard.
Know something we missed or have a tip for something fun happening this December? Send us the details to be included in our December event list!
- Live Nativity opens to SRO crowd, Tuacahn Amphitheatre’s Christmas in the Canyon
- Take a family Christmas chopping trip in Dixie National Forest
- Ski Southern Utah, already? Revamped Brian Head opens early
- STGnews RUNdown: Every race in one place, Southern Utah upcoming events
New from STGnews.com
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.