SOUTHERN UTAH – As heavy snow falls in Southern Utah Saturday, Utah Highway Patrol told St. George News at 1:39 p.m. that there are no major incidents in the region on Interstate 15 yet. But travel is treacherous and UHP troopers are busy responding to minor incidents.
There was a simple slide-off at mile post 31 on Interstate 15 in Utah, UHP Trooper Lawrence Hopper said, and other slide-offs and minor accidents with slight property damage but no injuries reported.
“It’s snowing really bad in the Gorge,” Hopper said of the section of I-15 on the Arizona Strip. As yet, no major incidents reported there either, he said.
Depending on where the storm resting in the Gorge goes, it could get worse, Hopper said.
Shortly after noon, a van veered off the road on state Route 18, injuries reported. See St. George News report publishing separately on SR-18 incidents.
Currently from Utah Department of Transportation, the following general road alerts are included for central and southern Utah:
For Central/Southern Utah
- Road snow will impact I-15 from Spanish Fork though the I-70 junction through noon Sunday.
- Road snow will impact I-15 from the I-70 junction to Cedar City through noon Sunday.
- Road snow/slush will impact routes in St. George between 9 A.M. and 11 P.M. Saturday. Motorists should watch for patchy road ice, particularly on bridges, Saturday night and Sunday morning.
- Road snow will impact Highway 191 between I-70 and Bluff from 11 A.M. Saturday through noon Sunday.
- Blowing snow will impact US-6, SR-21, and SR-56 late Friday night through Saturday morning.
For detailed conditions on specific roads and highways statewide – Visit UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts and scroll to the lower section of the Alert page.
This winter storm includes a mixture of heavy snow and gusty winds. Driving conditions may be hazardous. Use extreme caution. Keep a winter storm survival kit in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Getting stuck in the snow can have dire consequences. St. George News has prepared the following list for your convenience to print out, keep in your vehicles and get your survival kit assembled:
For more winter road conditions from the Utah Department of Transportation:
- Visit UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts – Go to lower section of the Alert page for detailed conditions on specific roads and highways.
- Visit UDOT’s Current Road Conditions
- Obtain UDOT’s smartphone travel app.
- Snow incidents SR-18; photo gallery
- Three injured when I-15 accident causes rollover down embankment
- Winter Storm Warning: Statewide snow, gusty winds, road alerts
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.