ST. GEORGE – With poor weather conditions eminent for Saturday, the scheduled drag / car show race event for Saturday at the old airport in St. George has been cancelled.
Safety is a big concern in any motorsport and the cold temperatures and slick surfaces negatively affect traction.
Temperatures are predicted with highs in the mid-30s and lows in the mid-teens Saturday. That, combined with a 70 percent chance of snow, makes conditions unsafe for racing.
Blackrock Motorsports posted the following notice on its Facebook page:
After some talk and a vote and based on weather forecasts, not to mention all the other automotive/motorcycle event conflicts this weekend, we have decided to call it a year. Based on the temp alone on an already challenging surface the racing isn’t a good idea. We thank everyone that has supported us and kept us going this far. We are planning for next year and look forward to making improvements and increasing our racing family. Please have a fantastic Christmas and New Year and look for us in 2014!!! We will keep this page updated with future event dates and info.
“Big thanks you to the Mayor and city council for waiving facility fees as to get more money into the hands of Kony coins for kids,” Blackrock Motorsports co-promoter James Hall said before the weather cancelled the event.
“It is unfortunate that we couldn’t raise a good amount of cash for kids this time, but we will make a point of having it on the schedule next year,” Blackrock Motorsports co-promoter Blake Foster said. “We would like to thank those who donated, sponsored and volunteered this year and look forward to a 4-5 race schedule for 2014.”
- Council approves zoning change for new Family History Center, approves drag racing event
- Start your engines: Drag racing is back in St. George
- TGIF weekend event guide
- Black corvette on Black Hill, rollover sends one to hospital
- PDI Dyno Event, Truck Show roars to life with bright lights – Nov. 1-2, 2013
- Biggest motorsports event to hit southern Utah is back
- Green means GO: Drag racing delivers in speed, spectators; STGnews Photo Gallery, video
- Southern Utah’s trucking industry on ‘Heavy-Duty’ regulations
- Fall Fuel Fest tears it up for 10,000 fans and $100,000 in prizes – 2012
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.