ST. GEORGE — Those who want to really feel the warmth of Christmas nostalgia won’t want to miss this year’s Dickens’ Festival in St. George. It promises a truly unique Christmas experience. Step back in time to 19th century London as the Dixie Center St. George is transformed into a one-of-a-kind entertainment and shopping experience.
Musicians and theatrical performances will fill multiple stages – the extensive list is in the full schedule linked here – while hundreds of 19th-century costumed folks bustle around the narrow village “streets” of Old English shoppes.
This festival will put you smack dab in the middle of an era that gave rise to many of our Christmas traditions. As you roam through the streets, look for the “real” Father Christmas; turn a corner and you may stumble upon a gathering of traditional Christmas carolers.
You won’t be able to avoid the smell of real pine trees and freshly made cinnamon rolls.
You’ll rub shoulders with the cast of Dickens’ characters such as Tiny Tim, Scrooge and even Queen Victoria who will be part of the nightly theatrical performances of “Scrooge” and “Oliver Twist.”
Taste freshly dipped carmel apples as you banter with shop workers wearing top hats, scarves, and other period costumes.
This festival literally makes you feel like you’re somewhere else – in a magical land of holiday merriment. You can’t leave without feeling a deep sense of Christmas spirit. And you might, if you are so inclined, dress the part and add to that spirit yourself – just for the Dickens of it.
- When: Dec. 4-7 | 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Where: Dixie Convention Center | 1835 S Convention Center Dr, St. George
- Cost: $6 for adults, $4 for seniors 65+ and children ages 4-12, Free for children 3 and under. Admission includes entertainment and plays.
- Special Tip: For discounted tickets, buy online here
- Entertainment Schedule: Full schedule here | Nightly plays include Oliver Twist at 6 p.m. and Scrooge at 8 p.m.
- Winter, holiday festivities in Southern Utah this December – Week 1
- Live Nativity opens to SRO crowd, Tuacahn Amphitheatre’s Christmas in the Canyon
- Take a family Christmas chopping trip in Dixie National Forest
- Ski Southern Utah, already? Revamped Brian Head opens early
- STGnews RUNdown: Every race in one place, Southern Utah upcoming events
New from STGnews.com
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.