ST. GEORGE — Two cars were damaged in an accident at the intersection of River Road and Riverside Drive around 9:15 p.m. Tuesday.
The driver of a black Pontiac Grand Am traveling east on Riverside Drive, reportedly ran a red light for an unknown reason, St. George Police Sgt. David Williams said. When the driver realized he had run the light, Williams said, he slammed on his brakes causing his car to skid into a blue Honda Accord that was stopped at the intersection. The Grand Am ricocheted off the side of the Accord and went head first into a thick cement block retaining wall adjacent to the sidewalk along River Road.
The impact crushed the front end of the Grand Am and a couch-sized block of the cement wall was raised up by the impact.
Both cars were were towed from the scene. There were no major injuries reported and no ambulance transports.
Airbags were deployed in the Grand Am and the young adult man who had been driving the Grand Am sustained some bumps and bruises, Williams said. He did have a bandage around his arm at the elbow and told the officer that he has a medical condition, Williams said, but it was not determined whether or not that condition had anything to do with him running the red light. The driver of the Grand Am was cited in the incident.
The Utah Highway Patrol, St. George Police Department, St. George Fire Department and Gold Cross Ambulance Service worked together to clear the scene.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- St. George Boulevard-I-15-Exit 8 diverging diamond interchange now open
- Mall Drive bridge project strapped by red tape, City Council considers options
- Driver of car that hit jogger Marva Cutler sentenced
- Three car sandwich on South River Road
- Impaired driver hits brick wall, sustains minor injuries
- Afternoon of traffic accidents
- Truck smashes through daycare wall, narrowly missing pedestrians
- Motorcycle-van collision sends one to hospital
New from STGnews.com
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.