ST. GEORGE – The St. George chapter of the BYU Management Society will be hosting Lavell Edwards at their annual scholarship fundraising dinner Nov. 23, 6:30 p.m., at the Dixie State University Gardner Center Ballroom in St. George. Contact information for ticket purchases included at the close of this report.
Money raised will go toward local high school student scholarships. Table and individual ticket sales are available for $40 per person or $300 for a table of 8. Proceeds will benefit the St. George Chapter BYU Management Society Scholarship Fund. Scholarships are available for students who plan to attend DSU, Southern Utah University or any BYU/Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints- owned schools.
About Lavell Edwards
A coaching icon, whose success and longevity are paralleled by few, LaVell Edwards guided Brigham Young to heights never before reached in the program’s illustrious history. For 29 seasons, Edwards roamed the sidelines at BYU, a tenure that ranks him fifth all-time for coaches at one school. In 20 of those 29 seasons, the Cougars claimed 19 Western Athletic and one Mountain West Conference titles.
Guiding BYU to 22 bowl game appearances, winning seven, Edwards reached the pinnacle of coaching success in 1984 by winning the national championship. His 257 wins rank him seventh in NCAA Division I-A history, and he has more victories than every other coach in BYU history combined.
At the helm, Edwards has compiled a program best .716 win percentage, coached one Heisman Trophy winner, two Outland Trophy recipients, four Davey O’Brien awardees and 31 All-Americas and four College Football Hall of Famers. BYU’s success didn’t come without personal reward for Edwards either. He was named NCAA District 8 Coach of the Year eight times, Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year in 1979 and AFCA National Coach of the Year in 1984.
- Paul “Bear” Bryant Lifetime Achievement Award (2013)
- College Football Hall of Fame inductee (2004)
- State of Utah’s Coach of the Century
- State of Utah Sports Hall of Fame
- BYU Hall of Fame
- Football stadium named LaVell Edwards Stadium in his honor
- 6th all-time among FBS head coaches with 257 wins
- Football Bowl Association Champions Award (2011)
- NCFAA Contributions to College Football Award (2009)
- Amos Alonzo Stagg Award (2003)
- Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1984)
- Kodak Coach of the Year (1984)
- AFCA Coach of the Year (1984)
- Boddy Dodd Coach of the Year (1979)
- National Championship (1984)
- Five former players also in College Football Hall of Fame
- Players coached won a Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award, Doak Walker Award, seven Sammy Baugh Trophies, four Davey O’Brien trophies and two Outland Trophies
- 19 conference championships
- 22 bowl games
- 6 All-American quarterbacks
- 257-101-3 overall record
Event details and contact information
- When: Saturday, Nov. 23, at 6:30 p.m.
- Where: Dixie State University Gardner Center Ballroom
- Buy Tickets: Telephone Paul Clove – 435-668-5686
- Website: BYU Hall of Fame
New from STGnews.com
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.