LETTER TO THE EDITOR – Voting YES on Proposition 9 is the right thing to do. Every generation helps the upcoming generation, who down the road will do the same.
I am saddened by the selfish response to building schools to accommodate future growth. Our children and teachers need adequate schools. This is not excessive. The bonds will not be issued, and the schools will not be built, if they are not needed.
Many have a knee-jerk reaction when taxes are mentioned. Fortunately, this bond is being issued as another is being phased out, so property taxes will go down for a few years, then slightly up for a few years (between $9 and $30 more on a $225,000 property from 2018 to 2020), and then down again.
Doing the right thing for education benefits everyone. It helps our property values, our economy, and our future.
Submitted by: Deborah Lin
- School District asking voters to approve $185 million bond for new schools
- STGnews Voter’s guide for Municipal Elections 2013; Washington, Kane, Iron Counties
- Public meeting: Washington County Board of Education
- Public hearing notice: Washington County Board of Education, local special bond election
- Public notice: Washington County Board of Education meeting
Now available from STGnews.com
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.