MESQUITE — A man was transported to Mesa View Regional Hospital Thursday morning after being stung multiple times by a swarm of bees.
Mesquite Fire and Animal Control were dispatched to 200 West Pioneer Boulevard after receiving a call just before noon of a male victim in his 30s having been stung between 20 to 30 times.
The lone victim initially appeared stable despite having been stung approximately 30 times. The patient suddenly began to deteriorate, requiring the paramedics on Rescue 11 to initiate advanced life support interventions to keep the patient’s rapidly deteriorating condition from advancing to anaphylactic shock. The victim was transported to the hospital and arrived in stable condition.
Animal control officers wearing bee suits were able to locate multiple areas approximately 200 feet behind a store and along a freeway exit with concentrations of bees in bushes. They were not able to locate an actual hive.
Fire Captain Gately utilized Compressed Air Foam to neutralize hundreds of bees and make the area safe. There were no other injuries reported.
Bee safety information
Mesquite Fire Rescue said they would like to remind people of some important bee safety information. If an individual is stung and they know they’re allergic, their breathing becomes difficult or they have been stung many times, they should seek medical attention immediately. If a person is actively being stung, they should:
- Run as far away as they can. Some bees may chase an individual 150 yards. However, bees fly slow and can be outrun.
- Protect their face and eyes while running, as bees may target those areas.
- Not jump into a body of water to get away. The bees will likely wait for an individual to come up for a breath and attack them then.
- Try and get into an enclosed area to stop the attack.
When a person yells or waives his or her arms, it can agitate the bees even more.
New from STGnews.com
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.