HURRICANE – It was initially reported Saturday that a 22-year-old man received severe burns to his body as a result of a gas can explosion. St. George News has since received clarification of the event in question from a family member of the victim.
Based on preliminary information, it was reported that the man had been injured after a gasoline can exploded while he was burning debris in his yard. The man was actually lighting briquettes on an outdoor grill when the incident occurred, the man’s sister said, asking not to be named. He was preparing to surprise his wife with an anniversary dinner, she said.
While barbecuing, he reached for a can of lighter fluid; however, he had actually grabbed a can of racing fuel, which was packaged in a similarly shaped can. When he poured the fluid onto the grill, the flames immediately went into the can causing it to explode.
The man was taken by Life Flight to Las Vegas where he is currently in stable condition, his sister said; however, he has sustained second- and third-degree burns on over 42-percent of his body, and will likely require skin grafts to replace the skin on both of his legs.
The man’s sister said that his family appreciates all of the kind words and prayers sent their way in the comments attached to the original article.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.