Robbery in Smith’s parking lot; man snatches money, runs

ST. GEORGE – Around 3:15 p.m., Sunday, a man asking for money in the Smith’s Food and Drug parking lot yanked  cash out of a woman’s hand as she was trying to give him money.

After allegedly stealing over $70 out of St. George resident Helen Ringwood’s hand, the man took off on foot around the corner of the Smith’s building and continued east on Tabernacle Street, witnesses said.

While putting groceries in their car, Helen and George Ringwood noticed the suspect approaching their car. The man asked them if they would give him some money, George Ringwood said.

“He was trying to get money to get back home,” George Ringwood said, “he was trembling and almost in tears.”

Since George Ringwood only had $1 in cash, he reportedly gave the suspect a dollar and asked his wife if she had any more money to spare. When Helen Ringwood pulled some cash out of her fanny pack the suspect grabbed it out of her hands and ran, George Ringeood said.

St. George Police identified the suspect as Jordan Elkins, of California. He was apprehended not far from Smith’s, St. George Police Sgt. Rich Tripplet said. Elkins has been arrested and charged with robbery.

Ed. note: Persons charged are presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law or as otherwise decided by a trier-of-fact.

Email: dallred@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, StGeorgeUtah.com Inc., 2013, all rights reserved

smiths
Police respond to a robbery in the Smith’s parking lot, St. George, Oct. 13 2013 | Photo by Drew Allred, St. George News

• Truth October 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Hahahaha what an idiot!!! Well at least he found a new home, hope he enjoys his stay!! Maybe his cell mate could loan him a couple bucks.

• ladybugavenger October 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Terrible thing to do. They were gonna give you more money dude, now look at ya.

• faith October 13, 2013 at 11:16 pm

A few months ago while leaving Smiths I had two people follow me near my car asking for money. It was a lil creepy It was just me and my toddler :/

• Molly October 14, 2013 at 7:13 am

I’ve had a few creepers come ask me for money in the parking lot. I always say no, it’s not that I don’t want to help but I don’t want my purse stolen or to get hurt either.

• Sgnative October 14, 2013 at 8:02 am

I haven’t shopped at smiths for at least 15 years since I saw a group of what might be described as “skinheads” being apprehended at gunpoint in the parking lot. It’s always been a scary part if town if you ask me.

• DoubleTap October 14, 2013 at 8:38 am

I have been accosted by such individuals both at Harmons and Lins. They usually tell me they need to buy something to eat. Then I respond that if they are hungry and need to eat, I will gladly take them back into the store’s deli and buy them a meal. Of course, at this point they decline the offer for a meal and just leave.

• Truth October 14, 2013 at 9:55 am

This is why everyone should just carry credit cards and a gun!