ST. GEORGE – The day started with an earthquake in northern Arizona and ends with a severe thunderstorm warning.
A 4.0 magnitude earthquake by U.S. Geological Survey measurement – 3.5 moment magnitude by University of Utah Seismograph Station measurement – occurred today at 2:38 a.m. MDT, 71 miles southeast of St. George / 208 miles north of Phoenix, Ariz.
The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for eastern Washington County County due to a line of thunderstorms from south of Pine Valley to Hurricane capable of producing damaging winds in excess of 60 mph.
These storms are expected to impact Interstate 15 between Washington and Kolob Canyon.
At 7:06 p.m. Doppler Radar indicated a line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing destructive winds in excess of 70 mph. These thunderstorms were located along a line extending from 7miles west of Enoch to Paragonah, moving northeast at 25 mph.
These storms have already produced winds in excess of 60 mph in Cedar City.
Affected areas: Leeds, LaVerkin, Toquerville, Virgin, Pine Valley, Pintura, New Harmony and Kolob Canyon.
Additional affected areas: Cedar City, Summit, Panguitch and Paragonah.
Precautionary / preparedness actions: This storm is capable of producing damaging winds in excess of 60 mph. See shelter in a sturdy structure until the storm has passed.
- UDOT’s Road Weather Alerts
- Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country
- University of Utah Seismograph Stations
- Utah Geological Survey
- Morning earthquake; Southern Utah is earthquake country
- Clusters of earthquakes NNW of Cedar City, WNW of Enoch
- What the HAYnes? It’s exciting living with geological perils; or, City of St. George shrugged
- Earthquake reported at 4.4 magnitude near Moab
- Perspectives: Who is crazier, survivalists or the unprepared?
- Rocks, resources and faults; new geological mapping of St. George area
- The Great Utah Shake Out seeks earthquake preparedness
- Shaune Vincent of St. George, in Thailand: Earthquake Aftermath
UPDATED 7:10 p.m.
Email: [email protected]