MESQUITE, Nev. – At approximately 9 p.m., Thursday, Mesquite fire units were alerted to what was reported as a “large fire” on Calais Drive. The fire was determined to have been ignited by fireworks.
First on scene was Squad 11 with two crew members who reported a large area of brush involved with fire in a deep drainage ravine that ran between two houses and down to the Falcon Ridge Golf Course.
There were houses threatened on both sides of the ravine although neither received any damage.
Engine 11, with three crew members, and Truck 11, with two crew members, worked over the ravine and hillside with shovels after the quick initial knockdown to ensure there were no hot spots and that there would be no flare ups.
In total, just over one-half acre was consumed by the fire.
While they certainly would not have recommended it, Mesquite Fire Rescue said in a statement released today that it would like to thank the area residents that helped keep the fire in check prior to the arrival of the units.
While the crews were fighting this brush fire, there was an additional call for service in Mesquite for an emergency medical incident which Mesquite units were unable to respond to due to no further available personnel. Bunkerville Rescue 71 responded within approximately 15 minutes and was able to handle the call for Mesquite.
One person was issued a citation and released by the Mesquite Police for use of dangerous fireworks.
Submitted by: Mesquite Fire Rescue