ST. GEORGE – Fire crews rushed to 1000 East just south of the St. George Boulevard intersection after receiving notification of a fire involving a natural gas vehicle Monday afternoon.
Kaiden Green, of St. George, said he and his friends were traveling up the hill on 1000 East after leaving Swigs around 3:15 p.m. He turned on the air conditioning and heard a “pop” sound. He said he began to smell propane and quickly pulled over to the side of the road. He heard another “pop” and got everyone out of the car.
Flames began to appear under the front passenger-side wheel well and in the engine compartment when the St. George Fire Department arrived at the scene. The fire was extinguished soon after their arrival.
“It was pretty scary,” Green said. “I thought (the car) was going to explode.”
No estimate on damage to the vehicle was given, though Green said the natural gas conversion kit in the vehicle is worth at least $3,000.
St. George Fire Battalion Chief Ken Guard said the cause of the fire had yet to be officially identified.
No one was harmed in the incident.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.