IRS offers last-minute tax filing tips

PHOENIX – The 2013 tax filing deadline is just around the corner. If you’re still working on your tax return, these tips from the Internal Revenue Service may help you complete your return accurately and in a timely manner.

  • File electronically

IRS e-file is available to all taxpayers and many can e-file their individual tax returns for free. Last year, nearly 100 million taxpayers opted for the safest, fastest and easiest way to submit their individual tax returns.

  • Check identification numbers

Carefully check identification numbers — usually Social Security numbers — for each person listed. This includes you, your spouse, dependents and persons listed in relation to claims for the Child and Dependent Care Credit or Earned Income Tax Credit. Missing, incorrect or illegible Social Security numbers can delay or reduce a tax refund.

  • Double-check your figures

If you are filing a paper return, double-check that you have correctly figured the refund and balance due.

  • Check the tax tables

If you e-file, the software will do this for you. If you are using Free File Fillable Forms or a paper return, double-check that you used the right figure from the tax table for your filing status.

  • Sign your form

You must sign and date your return. If you’re filing a joint return, both you and your spouse must sign it, even if only one of you had income. If you paid someone to prepare your return, they must also sign it and enter their Preparer Tax Identification Number.

  • Send your return to the right address

If you are mailing a return, find the correct mailing address beforehand.

  • Pay electronically

Electronic payment options are convenient, safe and secure methods for paying taxes. You can authorize an electronic funds withdrawal or use a credit or a debit card.

  • Follow instructions when mailing a payment

People sending a payment should make the check payable to “United States Treasury” and should enclose it with, but not attach it to, the tax return or the Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher, if used. The check should include the Social Security number of the person listed first on the return, daytime phone number, the tax year and the type of form filed.

  • File or request an extension of time to file

By the April 15 due date, you should either file a return or request an extension of time to file; remember, the extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.

Visit the IRS website for forms, publications and other helpful information on a variety of tax subjects.

Submitted by: Internal Revenue Service

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.