Fire at Desert Rose Apartments

Fire at Desert Rose Apartments St George
Fire at Desert Rose Apartments, St. George, Utah, March 18, 2013 | Photo by Dave Amodt, St. George News

An update to this story can be found here.

ST. GEORGE – Fire crews responded to a fire at the Desert Rose Apartments Monday afternoon, when the top floor of a multi-unit building caught fire.

At 12:29 p.m., Monday, the St. George Fire Department responded to a fire call at the Desert Rose Apartments, 2929 East 450 North in St. George.

Alexis Barrett, a neighboring resident, said she heard a “big bang” outside. She looked outside and saw flames coming out of the windows of one of the apartments, followed by a second, louder explosion that engulfed the apartment in flames.

“There were big flames for a little apartment,” Barrett said.

Cameron Condie, another Desert Rose resident, was among the first to notice the flames and had his wife contact 911. He said that he and his wife were in the car about to leave the parking lot when, “I happened to turn my head and see flames on the balcony.”

(report continues below)

Videocast by Dave Amodt, St. George News

Condie then found one of the apartment’s maintenance workers and the two of them banged on doors to get people out. They were able to get the bottom level evacuated by the time the fire department arrived. Fire crews evacuated a building next to the apartments and proceeded to battle the flames.

“You could see smoke coming out of every crevasse of the building,” Condie said.

Fire crews remain at the scene as of 1:24 p.m.

An update to this story can be found here.

Fire at Desert Rose Apartments, St. George, Utah, March 18, 2013 | Photo by Dave Amodt, St. George News
Fire at Desert Rose Apartments, St. George, Utah, March 18, 2013 | Photo by Dave Amodt, St. George News

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

2 Comments

  • Knine March 18, 2013 at 1:29 pm

    Wow this was quick. Thanks for the report on this fire Dave, Mori and the rest of the SG News crew

  • Lucinda Sessions March 18, 2013 at 2:14 pm

    Thank you for all the St.George crew. My daughter lives (lived)in the bottom apt were the lime green bike is and the flames are blasting out of the apt above her. Her ceiling on the floor above her colapsed in her apt as well as all the water. Thank you for getting her wheel chair out for her. My love goes to the rest of the tenants as well. And hope no one is hurt.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.