Runaway semi ends up in family’s backyard

reunaway semi
A semi driver lost control of his vehicle on Bluff Street in St. George and ended up in the backyard of an unsuspecting family, coming to a stop just feet from the home, St. George, Utah, Jan. 31, 2013 | Photo courtesy of Jason Little, St. George News

ST. GEORGE – Shortly after 8 p.m. a semi-truck pulling a 53-foot trailer and heading south on Bluff Street drove off the road, through a fence, and into a backyard; stopping approximately 12 feet from the house itself.

The driver, Carlos Caceres, 49, told officers the last thing he remembers was stopping at the light at the intersection of Bluff Street and Red Hills Parkway, over a quarter-mile north of the scene of the accident. Caceres was not arrested at the scene, and officials say there was no indication of alcohol use, but he did submit to a blood-based test at a different location. He was then transported to the station for a more controlled environment.

St. George police stated the truck originated in California, and the driver told police the truck contained a hay product, and was not hazardous. However, gas and other fluids did leak from the truck, and specialists are being brought in to dispose of the debris, as well as a commercial vehicle inspector to analyze factors contributing to the accident.

“We were here in front of the house,” Javier Rodriguez, a resident of the home, said. “Then we saw a bunch of smoke and ran over to check it out.”

The occupants of the house, as well as the driver, were uninjured. A trampoline, swing set, and a few random objects in the back yard were destroyed. Rodriguez said there were eight people home at the time of the accident.

“Our trampoline is destroyed, and our treehouse is done for, but the house is okay,” Rodriguez said. “Our siblings are okay, everyone is alright.”

A Red Cross disaster action team was also on scene of the accident. Paul Dunsdun, commander of the team, said the semi stopped 12-15 feet short of one of the children’s bedrooms.

Though the family was unharmed, Dunsdun said the Red Cross was ready to render any additional aid if needed.

St. George News Assistant Editor Mori Kessler contributed to this article.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • Dan Lester January 31, 2013 at 11:07 pm

    Thanks for the update. Will be interesting to find out if he fell asleep, had a TIA, or something else.

  • justin hugie January 31, 2013 at 11:33 pm

    Ha ha dan I thought it was you ha ha dang crazy glad everyone is ok

  • Alexis Parkinson February 1, 2013 at 1:56 am

    Save the red cross’s time! No need to have them there when the house was not damaged.. they should consider them selvs blessed but to need red cross there for aid is stupid!!

    • Dusty G February 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

      You have one ignorant opinion. I would suggesting keeping your RUDE comment to yourself!

    • DEVO333 February 2, 2013 at 12:40 am

      Alexis how the … do you know anything about it???? I’m almost 100% positive you were not there so keep your assumptions to yourself. You have no idea what went on other than you may have been one of the 100’s to drive by and snap shots with your i-phone.

      Ed. ellipsis

    • Don February 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm

      I agree the Red Cross have better uses, if there kid needed oxygen call an abalance or use his own oxygen that he has at home

  • Dusty G February 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm

    Alexis, they are very lucky and blessed because they were sitting down getting ready to eat dinner….. The Red Cross was called by the St. George Police Dept because the youngest child is special needs and depends on Oxygen. So don’t open your opinion to this until you know your facts on why they were called.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.