TOQUERVILLE – The Hurricane Valley Fire Special Service District responded to the report of a structure fire at 325 West Old Church Road in Toquerville at 1:36 a.m., Saturday.
The homeowners reported smelling smoke when they entered their home for the evening and were unable to locate the source of the smell. Prior to retiring for the evening, the homeowner once again looked for the source of the smell, exited the home and noticed flames coming from the vents on the roof of the home. They called 911 and exited the home.
Firefighters and Washington County Sheriff’s deputies arrived to report flames coming from the gable ends and vents in the roof. An initial interior fire attack revealed that the fire was at an advanced state and had spread throughout the attic of the residence.
Forty firefighters worked for one hour and 19 minutes to contain the blaze. Fire suppression efforts kept the fire from destroying the laundry room, office/guest area, and two large attached garages. Firefighters remained on scene throughout most of the day monitoring and overhauling the home.
Damage is estimated at $300,000. There were no injuries. Family and friends rallied to assist the homeowners with housing and other needs. Investigators determined the area of fire origin to be in the attic space where the vent for a wood burning stove passed through the attic space.
Firefighters responded to three citizen assist calls and three fire alarm calls in and around Hurricane City while actively fighting the blaze in Toquerville.
- Forty firefighters from four agencies responded to assist on this fire
- Hurricane Valley Fire SSD: one engines, one ladder, one Rescue, two squads, one command – 16 firefighters
- Washington City Public Safety: one squad, one command – four firefighters
- Hildale Fire: one Squad, one engine, one ambulance, one command – 14 firefighters
- Leeds Area Fire SSD: one engine, one command – five firefighters
- Washington County Sheriff’s Office: three patrol vehicles, three deputies
Submitted by the Hurricane Valley Fire Special Service District
Email: [email protected]