Perspectives: Thoughts from a radio talk show host

OPINION – I have the best job on the planet.  Discussing a myriad of issues on our daily morning Perspectives radio show is enlightening, fun and controversial, to say the least. Many shows leave me wishing we had more time to discuss the topics at hand. The calls were pouring in as we discussed the issues below.

Watching the DNC made me question the nation’s intelligence

In every speech and on every tongue, seemed to be the expression of accolades to our ever growing, ever far reaching, big government idealism. The government is starting to get the status of hero worship. Government should have a limited role in our lives, but according to those at the Democratic National Convention, government was being thanked for everything.

Government does not need to provide me with the opportunity to provide service. We can serve others without a government implemented “program.”

We can find ways to take care of our health without the government forcing either health care programs or a tax if we do not want to enroll in a program.

The Doctors Volunteer Clinic is a perfect example of volunteerism and assistance for health related needs as it services, quite efficiently, our local community health needs for the un-insured. If every county in America could help their communities by helping their citizens without insurance get medical help from doctors willing to lend a hand, we would not need forced health care.

My rights are God given according to the founding fathers and the Constitution.

If the government were not there to feed me or help me at every turn, we would get the help elsewhere because of good caring people who would reach out to us in a time of need. Neighbors, churches, family and friends are a great resource if I should ever need assistance. Long before government instituted the programs of welfare, neighbors helped neighbors and people survived.
Government is not our savior; they are merely officials that we elect to manage our money and create laws, only when needed or warranted to protect our freedom.  They have done a terrible job at managing our money and when they re-allocate small amounts of our funds back to us in “programs,” we applaud them.

What happened to self-reliance and ingenuity to take care of others and ourselves?  We would be a freer people if we sought after other options to take of our needs, instead of turning to the government when our lives hit those bumps in the road.

May the lady with the best dress win?

It does not really matter, does it? Both Michelle Obama and Ann Romney are women of substantial intelligence, charm, skill and talent. Both seem to be amazing mothers and women who can think for themselves.

This is not a boxing match. There is not a winner or a loser. I’m tired of the comparisons and the endless competition on whom is the better woman.

Why does our culture resort to scrutinizing the amount spent on the dress, the color, the figure flattering style, or their hairstyles?

Can we concede that both women are exceptional and leave it at that?

Not-so-free public school: The ever-growing back-to-school shopping list

The calls were pouring in on parent frustration with the long lists of school supplies including paper, tissues, dry erase markers and hand sanitizer, to name a few of the items that must be purchased when our kids return to public school.

Teachers are fantastic and I do not want our teachers buying supplies out of their own pocket.  We pay so much in taxes for our public schools, that we should demand that the basics of educating our children are included in the funds we allocate to education. Incidentally, most of our school funding comes from property taxes, according the Washington County School District Website.

The student fees are staggering and the school supply lists are growing longer each year. I am waiting for the day that the list includes toilet paper and paper towels.

Why am I buying paper for my elementary school age student and not for my high school aged student?

Why does Desert Hills High School resemble the “Taj Mahal” when a less extravagant school would have sufficed?

The WCSD is responsible for the transparency of those funds and you can view the links to the budget here. Yet, how do they decide how much money they will spend on the construction of a school or how much parents should pay for supplies? Maybe a little less “Taj Mahal” and a little more towards purchasing necessities like paper and pencils, would make more sense.

The great conversations must take place if we want to remain a free nation. “Agree to Disagree” has become my new mantra because if we all agree, then we are not being honest. Our differing views and opinions are what make Americans great. Speaking out is vital to our liberty.

Your comments and thoughts intrigue me and I entertain all of your diverse opinions. Talk radio today, is the one of the only forums left, which gives us the ability to speak out.

Kate Dalley is a news commentator and co-host of the Perspectives morning show on Fox News 1450 AM 93.1 FM. The opinions stated in this article are hers and not representative of St. George News.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2012, all rights reserved.

• Ron September 11, 2012 at 6:43 am

Try reading Charles Dickens for a look at a world where helping the poor and oppressed was mainly left up to private individual;, where the aristocracy (i.e., the one-percent) held all the power; where it was believed by those in power that the impoverished classes were impoverished because they were lazy, stupid, and (most of the time) drunk; and where government, such as it was, existed mainly to promote the interests of the rich. I’ll choose our system, as imperfect as it is, over that one any day.

• Murat September 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

There is no meaningful difference between the system described by Charles Dickens and the one in place now.

• Murat September 11, 2012 at 7:19 am

“Talk radio today, is the one of the only forums left, which gives us the ability to speak out.” The internet is superior.

• Mike H September 11, 2012 at 9:55 am

Once again you spout out about the DNC and ignore the obvious parallels to the RNC.
    I am so tired of the President’s words being twisted to mean something completely different than intended.
    “The government is not responsible for my employment. I can get a job without their help.” how would you get to said job without the government? The roads you travel on are maintained by the government. The car you drive has been made safe through a government entity. The FCC regulates the airwaves, this is government. The building you work in has been made to be safe via government agencies, what about your house and the power used to run all the fancy little things you use at home and in your office?
    “Government does not give me my human rights, pay my mortgage, nor do they need to feed me.

My rights are God given according to the founding fathers and the Constitution.”

Who wrote the Constitution? Is it not a governmental document? Is it not upheld via the government?
    With out the fed backing up all the funds in your bank and the bank of your employers you would not be able to pay your mortgage, without the government’s influence you would be paid whatever your employer felt like paying you, which could make it so you couldn’t even have a home, or food. What about the FDA, this is a governmental agency that is charged with making sure the food you eat is safe for you and your chilluns.
    “God” given? Really? Huh, while the government can’t “give” you human rights, I can tell you are one of those that is so quick to strip other people of their, “god given” rights. How do you feel about abortion, gay marriage? hmmm I bet you’d do all you can to make sure neither of these would ever be legal if you could.
    So much for “God given”. Though I’m sure you’ll become a god upon passing, once you do so, you are welcome to run your own planet however you see fit.

• Dsull September 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm

—” The roads you travel on are maintained by the government.” Many of the roads and railroads were in place before government took them over, and would still be being made by those who used them. They may not be as nice but at the same time, back east the private roads are a lot nicer and better maintained.
      —“The car you drive has been made safe through a government entity.” Yes, but beforehand the cars were still functional, and much of what we have in cars is driven more by consumer demand than government. Take the Volt. Government currently can’t save that pile of waste.
      —“The building you work in has been made to be safe via government agencies”, And many buildings without government interference are still standing hundreds if not thousands of years later. If someone produces garbage, people do not buy it. that person either changes or goes out of business.
      —-What about your house and the power used to run all the fancy little things you use at home and in your office? Um, I don’t what power you buy but currently that is provided through private and co-operative plants. Just because here in St. George you may buy it from the city, many other areas get it through a private company. (Which is usually cheaper and better services.)
      —“The President did not say people could not succeed or be the masters of their own destinies, he just meant that thanks to the government and the agencies employed you have the ability to do all the things necessary.” I would say thanks to private industry the government has been able to provide more for the people. All the cute little parks and bike trails are built off the fees that builders and developers pay. All the new roads and expansion of roads like the snow canyon parkway and Dixie drive are payed for by the developers along those roads. All of the Rail systems in the US were largely implemented by private industry. To say that we have what we have because of government is ludacris. I’m not against building codes and safety standards but you are mistaken if you think that the government provided all of that.

• Murat September 11, 2012 at 10:24 am

I hope I don’t reincarnate on one of Kate’s planets. How would I get to work without a road?

• nathan September 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm

People lived just fine before the advent of technology. All the things people today think are necessities to survive are most certainly not. Life is much better without it.unless you need it to distract yourself from the things that truly matter while we are on this planet.Most people don’t have the guts to put all materialistic things aside and actually live life for even a moment.start living,not just existing.