How to survive a shooting sitiuation

Photo courtesy of the St. George Police Department

ST GEORGE – With the recent shooting in Colorado in a crowded movie theater, I have fielded many questions on how best to protect yourself if you are caught in an active shooter situation.

Recently, the City of Houston and the Department of Homeland Security created a list of items that each of us needs to think about if we are caught in an active shooter situation:

• Run if a safe path is available.  Always try and escape or evacuate even if others insist on staying.
  • Encourage others to leave with you but don’t let the indecision of others slow down your own efforts to escape.
  • Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from waking into the danger zone and call 911.
  • If you can’t get out safely, find a place to hide.
  • When hiding, turn out lights, remember to lock doors and silence your ring and vibration mode on your cell phone.
  • As a last resort, working together or alone, act with agression, use improvised weapons and fight.

Remember this is a situation where someone is actively shooting at you and others.  None of us can predict when the unthinkable may happen and an active shooter situation may unfold.  The better educated we are, the better our chances for survival are.

Submitted by:  Capt. James Van Fleet, St. George Police Department
[email protected]

• Robert August 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm

This article is a complete joke, if you really want to stay safe in a shooting situation you need to be armed. People were killed in Colorado running away, and it is obvious you would call the proper authorities in the case of a shooting. Kids ran away and hid during Columbine and were murdered. A concealed weapons permit and your choice of armament is your best defense against murderers.

• Murat August 8, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I agree with Robert. What a stupid quote: “The better educated we are, the better our chances for survival are.” Here is a better quote: “The more practice you get at the range, the more likely it is you’ll blow the heads off of any perpetrators before they’re able to do much damage.” “When hiding, turn out lights…” Ha! This article is so stupid and worthless. I’m always practicing with my firearms. In fact, I regularly go out into the desert on school trust lands and such, setting up various scenarios. Then I take my old, beat up Cadillac Deville and go as fast as I can through the crowd of dummies and try to headshot the perps without killing any civilians. It’s a great deal of fun.

• lydia August 9, 2012 at 7:36 am

Well, aren’t you a peach?From you many posts I can deduce that you are an arrogant,wealthy(or so you want people to think),greedy,homophobic loner who hates the world.I. think you absolutely love coming off that way to people too.

• Murat August 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

Captain Van Fleet has made some asinine posts, but it’s ridiculous to call him a homophobic loner just because of that.

• Markus August 9, 2012 at 7:48 am

Murat, Don’t get caught on state trust land. They are giving out tickets for it now. Go out to BLM.

• Murat August 9, 2012 at 9:11 am

Thanks for the tip, Markus, but I disregard such tickets. State Trust Land is paid for with my tax dollars and I’ll use it as I see fit. If they want to put me in jail over unpaid, illegitimate ‘fees’, I’ll simply have a series of seizures and projectile vomiting episodes. They will not keep me for long, not after all the medical bills I rack up and unusually toxic bodily fluid stains I leave behind.

• Dghws August 9, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Your post explains a lot about your lack of respect for others, society, and our laws. I hope the reason for your “unusually toxic bodily fluid stains” will not shorten your life so much that you might not have opportunity to experience true compassion and the care of others, during your later more vulnerable years, to help soften your calloused and jaded heart. The world is not such a bad place… Glad you do have fun practicing your scenarios but please do it in a place where you won’t endanger my life or the lives of others. Driving while firing does not leave you much margin for error in being sure of your target and what is beyond…much less give the civilians much of a chance. Please, please do not try and save anyone should the need arise. I’m not sure how you’d explain the collateral damage to innocent bystanders.

• Firefly August 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’m with Robert and Murat on this one. Only I am responsible for my and family’s safety. I am a trained and educated CCW permit holder. I am retired LEO and a combat veteran. I WILL survive an active shooter situation. In addition to being profecient with my sidearm, I also make it habit to carry with me at all times a flashlight, knife, spare magazine and a cell phone. 99% of the information in the article is a little far fetched for true survival. Get yourself armed and trained and develop the mindset of alertness at all times and you can survive an active shooter scenerio. The 1% of the info in the article is get aggressive and fight like your life depends on it…..because it does.