ST. GEORGE – Dixie State College will host its first Dixie Forum: A Window on the World convocation of the 2012 spring semester with a special Monday event on Jan. 30, featuring a presentation by Australian Bush Poetry champion Carol Heuchan.
A native of Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Heuchan is recognized as one of the foremost writers and performers in Australia. She has won seven Australian Bush Laureate awards, including Performer of the Year accolades, and has produced three award-winning CDs and authored four top-selling books to date. Heuchan’s first book “Horseplay” led her to the world of Bush Poetry in 2003, following a career competing with her show horses and horse riding instruction.
Heuchan’s visit is co-sponsored by the Center for Education, Business and the Arts.
The Forum will begin at noon, in the Dunford Auditorium of the Browning Resource Center on the DSC campus. Admission is free for all community members, DSC students, and faculty and staff.
The Dixie Forum will continue each Tuesday through the rest of the spring semester, with the exception of a special Forum held in conjunction with DSC’s Second-Annual Research Day on Monday, April 9th. Upcoming guest speakers include retired history teach Steve Armstrong, who will discuss the JFK assassination Feb. 7; and DSC Faculty Emeritus and founder of the Dixie Forum series Terre Burton on Feb. 14.
For further information on DSC’s Dixie Forum series, please contact DSC Forum advisor Professor Marius van der Merwe at 435-652-7924 or at [email protected]
The remainder of the spring Dixie Forum schedule will be as follows. All forums will be Tuesdays (unless noted) at noon in the Dunford Auditorium:
- Feb. 7 Retired History Teacher Steve Armstrong – “The JFK Assasination”
- Feb. 14 DSC Faculty Emeritus Terre Burton – Founder of the Dixie Forum “A Window on the World “Series
- Feb. 21 DSC Biology Professor Jennifer Ciacio
- Feb. 28 Neonatal Developmental Specialist Jean Powlesland – “One Brain for Life: Developmental Care in the Newborn ICU”
- March 6 DSC Associate Professor of English Dr. Stephen Armstrong – “For the Love of Movies”
- March 13 No Forum – DSC Spring Break
- March 20 Miriam Brown – “PMS: The Facts Behind the Acronym”
- March 27 DSC Associate Professor of Theatre Michael Harding – “The Odyssey”
- April 3 Retired U.S. Navy Captain Ron Lewis – “Keeping the Promise (POW/MIA Soldiers)”
- April 9 DSC Research Day Presentation by Utah State University Professor of Chemistry and Associate Dean of Science Lisa Berreau
- April 17 Insect Eating Expert Dave Gracer