TOQUERVILLE – As firefighters continue to battle the Toquerville Falls fire, one firefighter was taken out by medivac helicopter today for emergency hospital treatment, not from fire injury, but due to an allergic reaction to bee stings.
Fire Information Officer Nick Howell said that when he checked in with the incident commander at about 6:30 p.m., the commander reported to him that there are “bees all over the place” and the firefighters are suffering multiple stings.
“There have been about twelve of them who have been stung multiple times,” Howell said. “The wild lands protective clothing the firefighters wear, called the nomex, is really thin material, light weight to offer some protection from the heat, but just a little bit thicker than your average casual wear.”
He said the bees are stinging right through their clothing.
The Toquerville Falls fire began Aug. 31 and has grown to 207 acres.
“I don’t expect anything to change over night if it hasn’t by now,” said Howell. “The witching hour seems to be between 3 and 5 p.m. It was pretty amazing [the fire didn’t grow more today] with winds gusting as they have been (around 25 miles per hour in the Cedar City area, north of the fire).”
Copyright 2011 St. George News. This material may not be published or rewritten without written consent.