Van catches fire on SR-18 near Central

A van is fully engulfed in flames after catching fire on state Route 18 near Central, Utah, July 15, 2019 | Photo courtesy of Steve Haluska, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — A van caught fire on state Route 18 near Central Monday afternoon. 

The 1997 Ford Aerostar minivan was being driven north near mile marker 29 just north of Central when it caught fire at around 3:45 p.m. 

The van was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, Central Fire Chief Steve Haluska told St. George News.

The flames caught a small amount of nearby brush on fire. Responders were able to put the fire out quickly and prevent it from spreading any farther.

A van is charred after catching fire on state Route 18 near Central, Utah, July 15, 2019 | Photo courtesy of Steve Haluska, St. George News

No injuries were reported as a result of the incident. Haluska said the van was a total loss.

Vehicle fires like these are often caused by cracked fuel lines, Haluska said, noting that whether that happened in this case can’t be confirmed. 

“Nobody knows,” he said of the cause of the fire. “It was just a vehicle going down the road, and I guess it caught on fire. And you can only make assumptions on something like that.” 

The Central Fire Department, Brookside Fire Department and Washington County Sheriff’s Office responded to the fire. 

Email: mshoup@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews | @MikaylaShoup

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!