MESQUITE, Nev. – The National Weather Service has issued a “Fire Weather Watch” for Mesquite, Nev. The alert is in effect from Friday morning through Friday evening for strong wind and relative low humidity.
Fire Weather Zones 101, 102, 229, 461, 462, 465 and 466 (see map insert).
Winds will increase during the morning Friday with the strongest winds in the afternoon through early evening.
Southwest winds of 20-30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.
Minimum relative humidity 10 to 15 percent at lower elevations. Humidity is expected to increase fairly quickly Friday evening.
The combination of gusty winds and low relative humidity and dry fuels can create conditions that are favorable for extreme fire behavior.
Precautionary, preparedness actions
A Fire weather watch means that critical fire weather conditions are possible. Please advise the appropriate fire weather officials in the field of this fire weather watch. Listen for later forecasts and possible red flag warnings.
- Red Flag Alert: Grand Staircase, Washington, Kane Counties
- Summer fire safety; prevention, awareness benefit communities
- Gunlock hopes to unlock funding for new firehouse
- Officials urge residents to prepare for upcoming fire season
- Multiple agencies take part in wildland-urban interface firefighting training
- Fire mitigation efforts save homes
- Human Attention Means Fire Prevention: Tips to Stop Human-Caused Fires
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.