- Health & Wellness
All posts by Ed Kociela
OPINION – My roots are in the Midwest. Growing up in the suburbs of St. Louis, Mo., tornadoes are nothing new to me. We didn’t live in Tornado Alley, but …
OPINION – It’s not easy being a reporter. You work lousy hours, often must witness some of life’s most gruesome tragedies, and people don’t us ...
OPINION – I can’t help but think today of the first really important newspaper story I ever did. I was a kid of 25, still cutting my teeth on the ...
March 27, 2013, 10 Comments
OPINION – The rules are this: If you want to win, you’ve got to play. For most people, at least in 42 states, that’s not a problem. But, if you ...
March 20, 2013, 3 Comments
OPINION – Winter has always been the wrong time of year for me. I hate how it not only darkens the sky, but the soul as well. I understand it ...
March 7, 2013, 2 Comments
OPINION – The state has gotten itself into an awful mess. Earlier this week, it found itself in court again regarding the tangled legal events that have ensnared it for ...
February 7, 2013, 5 Comments
OPINION – There’s hypocrisy in the latest announcement from the Utah Attorney General’s office. John Swallow, the state’s top law enforcement official, announced last Friday that Utah would join more ...
January 25, 2013, 2 Comments
OPINION – With the second inauguration of President Obama now a part of history, it’s just about time for campaign 2014 to begin. The midterm elections, when all 435 seats ...
December 14, 2012, 146 Comments
OPINION – Go ahead, tell me again about the Second Amendment. Tell me about all the law-abiding gun owners who are careful with the way they handle and store their ...
December 13, 2012, 20 Comments
OPINION – On the world stage, the term Dixie does not generate the affection afforded it in Southern Utah. It raises the specter of the antebellum South, a real time ...
November 29, 2012, 2 Comments
OPINION – It was many years ago and a friend of mine named Michael was in his usual mode of pontification. “Rock ‘n’ roll is like this spaceship. All it ...
November 22, 2012, 3 Comments
OPINION – It’s not really all about money, is it? On this Thanksgiving day, shouldn’t we think about things a bit loftier? OK, maybe we’re not all in the financial ...
November 1, 2012, 1 Comment
OPINION – There’s a lot of talk right now about how many people are looking forward to Wednesday morning when the votes are counted and all of this vicious, nasty ...
October 25, 2012, No comments
OPINION – We lost one of the good guys the other day with the passing of Sen. George McGovern. He was one of my heroes. He was also the first ...
October 18, 2012, 3 Comments
OPINION – It can be difficult to figure out the language of the ribbon. We’ve seen yellow ribbons, pink ribbons, blue ribbons, purple ribbons, all trotted out to raise awareness ...
September 20, 2012, 20 Comments
OPINION – About six months ago, when it became apparent that Mitt Romney was going to receive the Republican Party presidential nomination, I made an offhanded remark on Facebook that ...
August 30, 2012, 2 Comments
OPINION – It all becomes real tonight. For months now, Mitt Romney has been the “presumptive” presidential candidate for the Republican Party. Tonight, in prime time, he gives his first ...
August 23, 2012, 3 Comments
OPINION – The last time I saw Willie Nelson I remember walking past his bus and catching a whiff of something in the air. No, it wasn’t what you’re thinking. ...
August 9, 2012, 4 Comments
OPINION – What’s your relationship with God? As regular folks in the regular world, it hardly matters. It’s pretty much a situation of don’t ask, don’t tell as we go ...
July 26, 2012, 10 Comments
OPINION – I think Pink Floyd got it right, I think we’ve all become comfortably numb. We have become so blasé that we don’t feel much anymore, we aren’t shocked ...
July 19, 2012, 20 Comments
OPINION – In this post 9/11 world, I thought the safest places on Earth were airports. I mean, with minions from the Transportation Security Administration, a part of the U.S. ...
July 12, 2012, 1 Comment
OPINION – Now is the summer of Mexico’s discontent. The sun is hot and the air thickly humid, soured by the anger of leftist voters who say, for the second ...
July 5, 2012, 5 Comments
OPINION – It was not terribly surprising to learn, as we did the other day, that CNN newsman Anderson Cooper is gay. What is surprising, however, is that an announcement ...
June 21, 2012, 7 Comments
OPINION – I look upon Facebook, Twitter, and the Internet with admiration and, admittedly, confusion sometimes. I cannot pretend to understand it all. It’s like flicking a light switch to ...
June 14, 2012, No comments
OPINION – I don’t know about you, but I am going to pay a lot of attention to news reports out of Greece this weekend. You see, they’ll go to ...
June 7, 2012, 8 Comments
OPINION - It would be very easy to jump on the bandwagon and pat Utah County Attorney Jeffrey R. Buhman on the back for refusing to prosecute reality TV star Kody ...
On the EDge: Just when you thought it safe to wade the waters of opinion, he’s back; Ed Kociela joins the STGnews teamMay 24, 2012, 15 Comments
OPINION - A little more than a year ago, this incredible adventure we call life led my wife Cara and me down a path that ended about 1,500 miles south of ...
- Dsproles43 on Activists unite to March Against Monsanto; local grocers, farmers reluctant to comment
- Bretticus on Perspectives: The power of faith versus Oklahoma twisters
- Ken on Perspectives: The power of faith versus Oklahoma twisters
- Alvin on Perspectives: The power of faith versus Oklahoma twisters
- Get rid of chaffetz & hatch on USAF Chief of Staff, UT congressmen meet on F-35 Fighter, sequestration
- A Prayer on Perspectives: The power of faith versus Oklahoma twisters
- Nature babe on Activists unite to March Against Monsanto; local grocers, farmers reluctant to comment
- Matthew Sevald on Activists unite to March Against Monsanto; local grocers, farmers reluctant to comment
- Julie on Community responds to incomprehensible loss, benefit for bereaved family
- Sports Fan on Activists unite to March Against Monsanto; local grocers, farmers reluctant to comment
- Victoria’s Secret St. George: Opening day at last May 23, 2013
- Strong winds and gusts incoming; motorist and boater cautions May 23, 2013
- Perspectives: The power of faith versus Oklahoma twisters May 23, 2013
- Social media abuzz as graduation day hits St. George May 23, 2013
- Washington grants $150K to nonprofit’s transitional housing project; community center, youth council recognized May 22, 2013
- Activists unite to March Against Monsanto; local grocers, farmers reluctant to comment May 22, 2013
- Municipal Elections 2013: One week period upcoming to file declaration of candidacy May 22, 2013
- Heart Walk Foundation returns to Peru; growing sustainability May 22, 2013
- Rottweiler attack, recovery and aftermath May 22, 2013
- USAF Chief of Staff, UT congressmen meet on F-35 Fighter, sequestration May 22, 2013
- Relationship Connection: Mom the middleman; my husband and kids won’t talk to each other May 22, 2013
- Undercover investigation exposes mechanics in California; protect yourself May 22, 2013