Broken sprinkler causes thousands of dollars in damage at St. George Children’s Museum

A St. George firefighter shuts off the valves for a fire sprinkler, which rained down on the basketball room of the St. George Children's Museum after a child threw a ball at it. St. George, Utah, April 9, 2018 | Photo by Spencer Ricks, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — After a child threw a ball at a fire sprinkler in the St. George Children’s Museum, water rained from the ceiling and caused thousands of dollars in damage Monday.

A firetruck responds to a flood at the St. George Children’s Museum. St. George, Utah, April 9, 2018 | Photo by Spencer Ricks, St. George News

The “very zealous young guest” knocked the cage off the sprinkler head, which caused water to flood the basketball room in the lower floor of the St. George Children’s Museum on Main Street, Executive Director Marnie Workman said. The fire alarms were also triggered throughout the building and other guests in the building were evacuated.

The St. George Fire Department arrived, switched off the valves and reset the alarms as workers removed benches and other exhibit items from the room.

“And now cleanup begins, which will be quite a feat” Workman said. “We’ve got a lot of water to suck up, and all the floor tiles to remove and carpets to dry and everything to reassemble.”

It will take a lot of time to repair, she said.

“This hasn’t happened for a couple of years, so we’re ready for another adventure,” Workman said.

Email: sricks@stgnews.com

Twitter:  @STGnews | @SpencerRicks

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2018, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in Local, NewsTagged , ,

6 Comments

  • comments April 9, 2018 at 3:24 pm

    So none of the employees knew where the water shutoff was? They had to wait for the fire dept. just to shut off the water?

    • Striker4 April 10, 2018 at 5:43 am

      Duh !

    • comments April 10, 2018 at 10:30 am

      Yes, Dump, duh is right. Besides the fact that I’d describe you as ‘duh’, as in duh duh dumb. Had one of the staff working at the time had knowledge of where to shut the sprinkler system, they could’ve shut it off almost immediately, and the damages likely would have only been a few hundred dollars rather than the thousands or tens of thousands that it is now. Maybe they’ve got good insurance…

  • Rob83 April 9, 2018 at 6:09 pm

    What a bummer, they added a lot more neat features to this meusum. Hope they recover quickly, my kids love it there. FYI: they have a required fee of $5 per person now and under 2 years of age is free. No more pay what you can. It’s worth it though, this is my kids fave place.

  • stgeorgecm@gmail.com April 11, 2018 at 11:54 am

    The Museum is open for business and everything is ready for play, with the exception of the Sports Room, and is actually much less crowded than in prior weeks.

    • comments April 11, 2018 at 4:28 pm

      you guys should now write a book about childproofing things. Ya’ll have to be experts at it by now. 😉

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.